Have you changed your legal name?

This forum is exclusive for Muslims and ex-Muslims. Please do not join if you have never been a Muslim.
dionysus

Have you changed your legal name?

Post by dionysus »

HI, I am contemplating a legal name change. I seriously do not agree or accept the name I was given by my extended family members at the time of my birth. It's extremely hard to live with this name. It haunts me. It gives me nightmares. It's so horrible!!!

manfred

Re: Have you changed your legal name?

Post by manfred »

Please no not put your real name (or other details that can be use to trace you) here.

Sometimes changing a name is a powerful way to signal to new beginning in life. That is why, for example, someone joining a monastery changes his or her name, or sometimes people who have changed places to live.

I lived in China for a time, and I had a "Chinese name", but mainly because people could not say my name properly.

Similarly, many Chinese have a Western name so that people can call them without breaking their tongue...
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Hombre

Post by Hombre »

dionysus wrote:HI, I am contemplating a legal name change. I seriously do not agree or accept the name I was given by my extended family members at the time of my birth. It's extremely hard to live with this name. It haunts me. It gives me nightmares. It's so horrible!!!
you didn's say which part of the world do you live. if you live in any liberal European city like Amsterdam, or Stockholm, then your name will not matter much.

HamzaF

Post by HamzaF »

Hmmm...Is it Muhammad?

Aside from that, I can't really think of any other Muslim-name that would be hard to have. Muslim names are just Arab names. They existed way before Islam.