Muslim education.

For topics which do not fit into any of the other categories.
sum

Muslim education.

Post by sum »

I began to wonder what type of higher education it was that muslims gravitate towards. Is it influenced by Islam? Do they choose what is likely to help Islam in its drive to conquer the country in which they reside?

Do they favour IT, computing, physics and similar? Does anyone know?

sum

Hombre

Re: Muslim education.

Post by Hombre »

Abu Dhabi is building a city named "Masdar" which deploys the most advanced cutting-edge technologies available. Notwithstanding that all their technology is acquired from western sources. Saudi Arabia also is said to be building a future city & world class univeristy as well.
Here look at this:
https://masdar.ae/en/masdar-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sum

Post by sum »

Hello Hombre

The reason that I created this thread is that quite some time ago I read that future Islamic science would be geared towards the science proving the Koran to be right. Now, I also believe that modern science could aid Islam in cyber warfare.

sum

manfred

Post by manfred »

Jobs related to science would, in observing Muslims, create considerable cognitive dissonance, specially biology. Most Muslim who go into teaching will choose IT, Design and Technology and also Maths. Subjects used to promote the multi-cultural agenda such as history and English, are also popular. If they do go for a science, they would go for Chemistry mostly, and teaching evolution would make them uncomfortable. Religious Education is avoided on the whole, because they would have to present other religions as equivalent to Islam. (Islamic schools are different)

In the UK, there are quite a few Muslim doctors, but many of them have trained abroad, and it is not always clear that their qualifications match ours. Zakir Naik is a medical doctor, we are told, but judging by the amount of nonsense he manages to publicly pronounce, I would not have any confidence in him treating me... would you? Muslims coming through the UK education system with such a success as to be able to train as a doctor or dentist is not that common.

The IT sector is popular for Muslims too, as is studying Law. Also, many Muslims aim for a role in public life, as a way to change society. Many also opt for degrees in Business Administration.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

sum

Post by sum »

Hello manfred

http://theopinionator.typepad.com/my_we ... docto.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The MDDA(Muslim Doctors and Dentists Association) has its own agenda as in the link above.

As an aside, it again shows that indoctrination is more powerful than facts and reason.

sum

manfred

Post by manfred »

I did not know this, and that is seriously scary. How do people get away with that?

sum

Post by sum »

Hello manfred

It is also worth mentioning that there seems to be a disproportionate number of muslim pharmacists. I don`t have figures but my comment is based on personal observations and what appears on TV etc.

sum

sum

Post by sum »

https://www.muslimdoctors.org/what-we-do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sum

Hombre

Post by Hombre »

For some reasons the number "1001" is popular number for Islam. the fables 1001 Arabian fairy tales. the 1001 Islamic inventions in science & Medicine, etc etc

About 20 years ago - walking in downtown - I saw a big sign on the city's main museum. "Major exhibit. Islamic science & inventions". Paid the entry fee & with anticipation entered the hall.

I swear I am not making it up. The whole exhibit was housed in a room maybe 6000-7000 sq ft (about 600-680 sm). (Normal exhibit of these calibers ranges around 80 to 100K sq ft)

As I was reading the descriptions I saw another small card saying "original creek discovery - improved by (name of the Muslim scientist). Then another exhibit & another exhibit - though few in medicine seem genuine Muslim invention.

Waking towards the exit another large sign with the words "Muslim Nobel Laureates" with only two names (Chemistry & Physics). Disgusted & disappointment I walked out. Two months later I went by the museum - still open except entrance free. Even that I didn't see any traffic in & out

Nosuperstition

Post by Nosuperstition »

For some reasons the number "1001" is popular number for Islam. the fables 1001 Arabian fairy tales. the 1001 Islamic inventions in science & Medicine, etc etc
1001=1+0+0+1=2.

I am no numerologist.But what my brain says to me is that the number "2" is rather a unlucky and inauspicious one.The two main Abrahamic religions or Semitic religions are based on Dvaita philosophy or Dualism.Compared with Advaita , Dvaita philosophy breeds more hatred.
palli or halli in Dravidian languages means a village just like gaav in Aryan languages means a village.palli or halli in Aryan Mauryan Imperial era around 200 B.C designates a tribal hamlet.So many of those in South India are indeed descendants of tribals and are still keeping up that heritage.

SAM

Ibn Al-Haytham: Father of Modern Optics

Post by SAM »

Ibn Al-Haytham: Father of Modern Optics

The Islamic world is slowly becoming the center of innovation again, to revive the "golden age" of Islam from the eighth to the fifteenth centuries. It will mark one millennium since the publication of Ibn al-Haytham’s Kitab Al Manazer (Book of Optics), one of the most important texts in the history of science. Written more than 600 years before the birth of Isaac Newton, al-Haytham’s work is widely regarded as one of the earliest examples of the modern scientific method.

Ibn al-Haytham was a prolific author. He wrote more than 200 works on a wide range of subjects, of which at least 96 of his scientific works are known, and approximately 50 of them have survived to date. Nearly half of his surviving works are on mathematics, 23 of them are on astronomy, and 14 of them are on optics, with a few on other areas of science.

Not all of his surviving works have yet been studied, but some of his most important ones are described below. These include:

Kitab Al Manazer (Book of Optics)

Risalah fi al-Dawa’ (Treatise on Light)

Mizan al-Hikmah (Balance of Wisdom)

Maqalah fi al-Qarastun (Treatise on Centers of Gravity)

Risalah fi al-Makan (Treatise on the Place)

Al-Shukuk al Batlamyus (Doubts concerning Ptolemy)

On the Configuration of the World

The model of the Motion of the Seven Planets.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6074172/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

manfred

Post by manfred »

Hi SAM,

I am surprised you know about Ibn Al-Haytham.... It is not accurate to call him "father" of optics, as his main achievement was to publish in Arabic what people in the past had discovered, notably Ptolemy and Aristotle. Almost all of his writing closely follows those of Aristotle.

He entirely subscribed to Ptolemy's cosmology, saying:
The earth as a whole is a round sphere whose center is the center of the world. It is stationary in its [the world's] middle, fixed in it and not moving in any direction nor moving with any of the varieties of motion, but always at rest
He did however describe the human eye as an optical system.

And I specially like this comment of his:
The duty of the man who investigates the writings of scientists, if learning the truth is his goal, is to make himself an enemy of all that he reads, and ... attack it from every side. He should also suspect himself as he performs his critical examination of it, so that he may avoid falling into either prejudice or leniency.

His biography is most interesting SAM....

He contracted the wrarth of the caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, and is said to have been forced into hiding until the caliph's death in 1021, after which his confiscated possessions were returned to him. Alhazen feigned madness and was kept under house arrest during this period. During this time, he wrote his influential Book of Optics. Alhazen continued to live in Cairo, in the neighbourhood of the University of al-Azhar, and lived from the proceeds of his literary production until his death in c. 1040.

So it seems that in the "golden age" he could only engage in studying non-Muslim texts and do scientific research if you pretended to be mad. Otherwise you get into trouble with religious authorities,

So, in short, we have a brief period of perhaps 100 years in Muslim history, when scientific research was possible, but only if you find a way to convince the Qalif you were not a serious or not entirely sound mentally. After that, this small window closed.

Why do you think that is, SAM?

frankie

Re: Ibn Al-Haytham: Father of Modern Optics

Post by frankie »

SAM wrote:Ibn Al-Haytham: Father of Modern Optics

The Islamic world is slowly becoming the center of innovation again, to revive the "golden age" of Islam from the eighth to the fifteenth centuries. It will mark one millennium since the publication of Ibn al-Haytham’s Kitab Al Manazer (Book of Optics), one of the most important texts in the history of science. Written more than 600 years before the birth of Isaac Newton, al-Haytham’s work is widely regarded as one of the earliest examples of the modern scientific method.

Ibn al-Haytham was a prolific author. He wrote more than 200 works on a wide range of subjects, of which at least 96 of his scientific works are known, and approximately 50 of them have survived to date. Nearly half of his surviving works are on mathematics, 23 of them are on astronomy, and 14 of them are on optics, with a few on other areas of science.

Not all of his surviving works have yet been studied, but some of his most important ones are described below. These include:

Kitab Al Manazer (Book of Optics)

Risalah fi al-Dawa’ (Treatise on Light)

Mizan al-Hikmah (Balance of Wisdom)

Maqalah fi al-Qarastun (Treatise on Centers of Gravity)

Risalah fi al-Makan (Treatise on the Place)

Al-Shukuk al Batlamyus (Doubts concerning Ptolemy)

On the Configuration of the World

The model of the Motion of the Seven Planets.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6074172/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SAM
The Islamic world is slowly becoming the center of innovation again
If this were true, where are these Muslim innovators today?

There is no such thing as innovation in Islam, as Mohammed/Allah so to it there would never be any.

Any so-called knowledge Muslims have must come only from the Quran, held together with Muhammad’s example.

Any innovation that might have come from the Muslim world came from the knowledge already held in the lands Islamic armies had conquered, which they claimed for themselves.

Any knowledge in Islam scientific or otherwise is fatally flawed, as what was known in 7th century Arabia has changed, as mankind has progressed to a better understanding of the world.

Allah unfortunately, remained fixed in the time he revealed his book.

The sun does not set anywhere, it is an optical illusion.

Sunan Abu Dawud : Dar-us-Salam reference / Hadith 4002
Narrated Abu Dharr:
I was sitting behind the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) who was riding a donkey while the sun was setting. He asked: Do you know where this sets ? I replied: Allah and his Apostle know best. He said: It sets in a spring of warm water (Hamiyah).

Men do not produce any sexual fluid from between the backbone, and women do not produce any sexual fluid, most definitely not from the ribs, which plays a part in human reproduction.

Quran 86.6-7
Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi - Tafhim al-Qur'an

"Sulb" is the backbone and "tara'ib"the breast- bones, i.e. the ribs. Since the procreative fluid in both man and woman is discharged from that part of the body which is between the back and the breast, it is said that man has been created from the fluid issuing out froth between the back and the breast.”
Ibn Kathir
Quran86.6-7
He is created from a water gushing forth.) meaning, the sexual fluid that comes out bursting forth from the man and the woman. Thus, the child is produced from both of them….
(Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs.) "The backbone of the man and the ribs of the woman. It (the fluid) is yellow and fine in texture.

A child’s resemblance of his parents is not determined on who has orgasm first.

Sahih Bukhari

Volume 4, Book 55, Number 546:
Narrated Anas:
When 'Abdullah bin Salam heard the arrival of the Prophet at Medina, he came to him and said, "I am going to ask you about three things which nobody knows except a prophet: What is the first portent of the Hour? What will be the first meal taken by the people of Paradise? Why does a child resemble its father, and why does it resemble its maternal uncle" Allah's Apostle said, "Gabriel has just now told me of their answers." 'Abdullah said, "He (i.e. Gabriel), from amongst all the angels, is the enemy of the Jews." Allah's Apostle said, "The first portent of the Hour will be a fire that will bring together the people from the east to the west; the first meal of the people of Paradise will be Extra-lobe (caudate lobe) of fish-liver.
As for the resemblance of the child to its parents: If a man has sexual intercourse with his wife and gets discharge first, the child will resemble the father, and if the woman gets discharge first, the child will resemble her."

The earth is not flat.

Quran 88.20

And at the earth - how it is spread out?

88.20 Jalal - Al-Jalalayn
And the earth, how it was laid out flat?, and thus infer from this the power of God, exalted be He, and His Oneness? The commencing with the [mention of] camels is because they are closer in contact with it [the earth] than any other [animal]. As for His words sutihat, ‘laid out flat’, this on a literal reading suggests that the earth is flat, which is the opinion of most of the scholars of the [revealed] Law, and not a sphere as astronomers (ahl al-hay’a) have it, even if this [latter] does not contradict any of the pillars of the Law.

frankie

Post by frankie »

This is what Muslim scholarship tells Muslims about innovation,or as Muslims know it as bidah

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/237360/ ... -major-sin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) told us that: “Every innovation is going astray, and every going astray will be in the Fire.” Narrated by Muslim (867) and an-Nasaa’i (1578)

The scholars have explained that even though every innovation is misguidance, it is also a kind of sin, and sins vary in degree, depending on the extent to which they are contrary to Islamic teaching.

Ash-Shaatibi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

It was narrated that innovation is prohibited in general terms, and it is described as misguidance, as in the hadith: “Beware of newly-invented matters, for every newly-invented matter is an innovation, every innovation is a going astray, and every going astray will be in the Fire.” This is general in meaning and applies to every innovation.

But this gives rise to the question: is every innovation to be judged in the same manner, or not?

We say: it is established in the principles of Islam (usool) that shar‘i rulings fall into five categories. If we take away three of them [namely: waajib (obligatory), mandoob (encouraged) and mubaah (permissible)], what is left is the ruling of makrooh (disliked) and the ruling of haraam (prohibited). Therefore we should think of innovation as falling into two categories: some are prohibited innovations and some are disliked innovations.

That is because innovation comes under the heading of disallowed things, and disallowed things are either makrooh (disliked) or haraam (prohibited). Therefore innovation is likewise. This is from one perspective.

From another perspective, if you think of the content of the innovation, you will find that innovations are of various categories:

some of them constitute blatant disbelief…

Some of them constitute sins, but do not come under the heading of disbelief, or there is a difference of opinion as to whether they constitute disbelief or not, such as the innovations of the Khawaarij, Qadaris and Murji’ah, and similar misguided groups.

Some of them constitute sins, but there is scholarly consensus that they do not constitute disbelief, such as the innovations of celibacy, fasting whilst standing in the sun, and castration for the purpose of stopping sexual desire.

Some of them are disliked, as Maalik said about following Ramadan immediately with six days of Shawwaal, or reading Qur’an out loud in turn, or gathering to offer supplication (du‘aa’) on the afternoon of the day of ‘Arafah, and so on…