immigration and integration

For topics which do not fit into any of the other categories.
manfred

immigration and integration

Post by manfred »

How should an immigrant adapt to a new country?

How far should he or she "integrate"?

Does integration mean giving up one own values and and culture?
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Ariel

Re: immigration and integration

Post by Ariel »

Yes, to my opinion they should. They should not only integrate, but they also should try to assimilate. They should speak the language of the country the move into, and they don’t need to bring their culture or laws (Sharia Law) into our culture and our laws.

If they won’t accept the laws and culture of their new homeland, they need to go where they came from.

Most of them came out of free will to our countries.

I am also of the opinion that refugees must go back to their home countries when the war is over, or when is save to go back .
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

manfred

Post by manfred »

Well, what about the Dutch in Indonesia all that time ago? Did they do that, generally? How about "ex-pats" in, say, The Emirates?

I agree about the language, this essential to be employable.

To what extent you can make people to "adopt" a culture is a tricky one. We all have our views and convictions.

But what is important that an immigrant will at least not challenge the values and laws of their new home, or expect to have privileges.

You can integrate without abandoning your own background. That is hard, but possible. Jewish people have learnt how to live with non-Jews as neighbours and friends, and still be Jewish. It took a very long time to master this, and despite of best efforts, there were terrible times for them in Europe.

Muslims do not merely want to retain their religion but change their new countries into something like back home. Many of their convictions are seriously at odds with Western values. The minimum standard would be to live and let live, to accept those who do not fit their ideas, and to allow others to live their lives the way they want.

A "multi-cultural" society does not work for them. They will separate themselves, make little effort to adjust to their new environment as their look down on us. They never experiences the period of enlightenment and the separation of religion from government. That is a big part of the problem.

I would say.... learning the language is a must. Also learning about cultural norms and expectations, and a willingness to at least respect them. Avoid to use religious teachings and services to generate an "us and them". Why would you even need to discuss other people in the context your own religion? Instead of asking "what can I get" ask "what can I bring". Why be a "Palestinian" if you could be a Muslim Israeli?

I would also agree that refugees should return once it is safe. We should neither take responsibility for the entire world's poor as we cannot deliver that, nor should we take the skilled workers from poorer countries, they are much needed at home.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:Well, what about the Dutch in Indonesia all that time ago? Did they do that, generally? How about "ex-pats" in, say, The Emirates?

You have a point Manfred. More then a point to be honest. People have a right to their own culture , also when they immigrate to an other country.

I was too harsh. :oops:

But an ex-pats is going home one day. He does not have to integrate. However, also they must keep in mind to respect the culture and the laws of the country where they work.

That rule counts also for holidaymaker, or tourist. Respect the country you visit.

That's why I never could or would immigrate. I do not want to be a stranger in an other country. And that is also the reason I never will visit a Muslim country. I am not sure I could keep my mouth if I see things I do not like. Like for instance...animals abuse , or worse.

ronyvo

Post by ronyvo »

manfred wrote:How should an immigrant adapt to a new country?

How far should he or she "integrate"?

Does integration mean giving up one own values and and culture?
For me personally, it was easy to adapt to western culture. I am a Copt. Living in my birth country as a Christian was a nightmare. Muslims CAN NOT live with others. period. I don't have to go in details here. You folks know enough about this so called religion. Islam, in my opinion, is not a religion.
Muslims are not capable of integrating at all. Their 'holy' book the Koran forbid them to integrate with the infidels.
How far one would or should give up his/her values! My values, as a Christian come from The Holy Bible. That is why I chose America to be my new home.
I did not give up my values in Egypt my own country, and that is why I was in trouble and was lucky to be alive. For the Muslims it is an entirely different story. That is why they are causing the mess in the West. They force their values and culture where ever they go. Never adapt.

Ibn Rushd

Post by Ibn Rushd »

Parks Canada signs demonstrate right, and wrong, way to use toilets
New signs being installed in Parks Canada washrooms near Yoho National Park may make some visitors snicker, but they carry an important message.

That there’s a right, and a wrong, way to use the toilet.

Officials say the effort is aimed at protecting infrastructure, along with keeping visitors and staff safe.

New signage in Parks Canada washrooms outlines the right, and wrong, way to use a toilet.

The signs may make some snicker, but they are about the safety of visitors and staff, officials say.

At the Lake O’Hara parking lot, minutes away from Lake Louise, the men’s and women’s washrooms now have signs showing how to properly use the vaulted toilets.

Officials say cleaning staff were finding broken toilet seats and, quite a mess.

Parks Canada staff says people were squatting on the toilets, rather than sitting on them.

They’re hopeful the new signs will better explain the process in public washrooms.

Tom Hansen is visiting from Vernon, B.C. and doesn’t think more signage is needed.

“There’s different cultures that have holes in the ground for toilets so they have to squat, right, these are actual toilets that are meant to be sat on but they’re quite filthy so no one wants to sit on them I guess,” he said.

Another tourist visiting from Switzerland told CTV News these types of signs are used in a lot of places in Europe.

She said the signs are even at universities to help foreign students who might be away from home for the first time deal with a different toilet system.

Parks Canada says it comes down to safety and cleanliness.

The signage is isolated to the Lake O’Hara parking lot washrooms said visitor experience manager Jed Cochrane.

“Our staff at Lake O’Hara noticed that some of our international visitors weren’t used to how to use a typical western style vault toilet and so that sign was put up to help visitors (know) how those toilets are used,” he said.

Parks Canada says by educating travellers it wants everyone to have a fantastic experience on their visit.

The toilets are basically a hole in the ground with a raised seat, you are supposed to close the lid after you're finished, as bugs will get in. They are periodically pumped out, as they are like a septic tank. So far only the toilets at one park have been affected by those standing.
There is no Master but the Master, and QT-1 is his Prophet.

Asimov's robot story "Reason"

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Ibn Rushd wrote:[url=https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/parks-canada ... se-toilets

The toilets are basically a hole in the ground with a raised seat, you are supposed to close the lid after you're finished, as bugs will get in. They are periodically pumped out, as they are like a septic tank. So far only the toilets at one park have been affected by those standing.
Those signs may be new in Canada, but they are common in Europe.