Greta Thunberg and the climate change

For topics which do not fit into any of the other categories.
Ariel

Re: Greta Thunberg and the climate change

Post by Ariel »

Image Fools...

Greta Thunberg:
Today I’m addressing the European Commission and the European Parliament in Brussels.
Greta Thunberg sits next to European Commission (EC) President Ursula von der Leyen ahead of the EC's weekly College of Commissioners meeting in Brussels.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Greta Thunberg has condemned the EU’s climate change plan as ‘surrender’ in a passionate speech on the day MEPs unveil legislation aimed at tackling the problem.

She told the European parliament "We will not allow you to surrender on our future".

Listen here to the impudent child

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Poor Greta. She has not been in the spotlight for some weeks, so what can you do, telling the world that you have got corona.
Greta Thunberg says she may have coronavirus and is isolating with her father after displaying symptoms

Greta Thunberg says she may have had coronavirus and has self-isolated at home with her father.

The teenage climate activist said she appeared to have been infected along with her dad, actor Svante Thunberg.

Both began having symptoms after a recent train tour of Europe together and so have been in isolation for the last weeks, she said.

They were travelling in Europe before lockdowns were imposed by many governments across the continent.

The Swedish 17-year-old said in a video published by the New Scientist today that her father had 'more intense symptoms'.

She said: 'For the last two weeks I have been isolated and then I got the virus.

'I came home from central Europe and then I isolated myself from the beginning, because I thought I might as well as I've been on trains and so I don't want to put anyone else at risk.

'But then I started feeling some symptoms after a few days. But the important thing is that I didn't basically feel that I ill.

'At the same time my father was feeling much more intense symptoms.'

Thunberg added that she wanted to raise awareness about how easy it was to transmit the infection without realising.

She said: 'I didn't basically feel that I was ill. It could be that I was feeling unusually tired, I was coughing a bit.

'That is because I'm not in a risk group, I didn't get it very seriously. That also is very dangerous because you don't know you have it.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Poor Greta had an awful time. It was so quiet around her. No one came to her to question her about the climate crisis anmymore. But Greta is back.... “like the climate crisis, the coronavirus pandemic is a child-rights crisis” she said.
Greta Thunberg launches campaign to fight coronavirus

UNITED NATIONS - Climate activist Greta Thunberg is launching a campaign with a Danish foundation to help finance the U.N. childrens’ agency’s emergency program to fight the coronavirus pandemic.

Thunberg said in a statement that “like the climate crisis, the coronavirus pandemic is a child-rights crisis” that will affect youngsters now and in the long-term, especially the most vulnerable.

She urged people everywhere “to step up and join me in support of UNICEF’s vital work to save children’s lives, to protect health and continue education.”

The campaign is being launched with $100,000 from the Greta Thunberg Foundation and $100,000 from Denmark’s Human Act Foundation.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

There is not much to do for the climate lately, so Greta dives into the corona disaster. As an expert...

“Like the climate crisis, the coronavirus pandemic is a child-rights crisis,” said Thunberg. “It will affect all children, now and in the long-term, but vulnerable groups will be impacted the most.
Greta Thunberg added to CNN’s expert coronavirus panel, Twitter erupts

An upcoming CNN town hall on the coronavirus pandemic will feature 17-year-old Greta Thunberg alongside a panel of medical experts .

The program, “Coronavirus Facts and Fears,” also includes CNN broadcaster Sanjay Gupta, 50, former Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, 71 and former Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Richard Besser, 60. CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, 52, will host alongside Gupta.

However, social media watchdogs are foaming at the mouth over the choice to place a teen climate activist on a panel with public health experts.

“What place does Greta Thunberg have in this town hall?” asks Twitter rabble rouser Yashar Ali to his 618,000 followers. His rhetorical question was liked by more than 12,000 since this morning.

CNN’s social media was soon served with an onslaught of virtual eye-rolls.

“Greta Thunberg? Now, she’s a COVID expert? @CNN is a joke!” reads a top response to the network’s Wednesday announcement.

“Not picking on the kid,” said another. “Picking on a ‘news’ network for featuring a child to inform the public.”

“I remember when my thread about E. coli in Romaine lettuce went viral and trended on Twitter only to have CNN put Food Babe on the air to discuss the issue,” tweeted Dr. Eugene Gu, referring to another controversial health “expert” in the media. “Greta Thunberg on this panel is an improvement from that at least.”

Some have come to Thunberg’s defense, including more than a few public figures, arguing that the voice of the youth, who will come to inherit an Earth doomed by future pandemics and climate disaster, may actually have something to add to the conversation.

“Unqualified men appear on cable all day every day, bloviating endlessly, but Greta Thunberg is a bridge too far? Ok,” tweeted writer Roxane Gay.

“She’s has extraordinary knowledge and she is the next generation that is left to clean this mess we’ve made. They wouldn’t have her there if she wasn’t a powerful voice,” wrote Oscar-winning actor Patricia Arquette.

“It’s a town hall, not a meeting of scientists,” another follower noted. “Some of their previous guests have been chef Jose Andres, director Spike Lee, author Laurie Garrett, etc etc.”

Thunberg has, perhaps wisely, been mum throughout this erupting social-media showdown. But she hasn’t spent the past three months lounging in lockdown. On April 30, UNICEF said that the young activist had launched a children-first campaign to help protect young lives against COVID-19, pledging a grant of €92,000 ($100,000), awarded to her by Danish NGO Human Act, toward the effort.

“Like the climate crisis, the coronavirus pandemic is a child-rights crisis,” said Thunberg. “It will affect all children, now and in the long-term, but vulnerable groups will be impacted the most. I’m asking everyone to step up and join me in support of UNICEF’s vital work to save children’s lives, to protect health and continue education.”

Her name is a top trending term on Twitter, with some 30,000 mentions on the platform in just a few hours.

In a follow-up tweet, Ali clarified his rhetorical tweet with an explanation: “I understand that but this is a panel of top health experts and administrators. A climate activist would be better suited on a different panel. She’s not a climate scientist. It’s a matter of placement.”

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Greta Thunberg admits to lack of Coronavirus expertise
Greta Thunberg’s public relations team did a 180° this morning when they realized the magnitude of the global backlash in response to Greta appearing as an “coronavirus expert” on a CNN panel.

Appearing on the program sitting next to a former Cabinet Secretary and Director of the Center of Disease Control, Greta was acting as if she suddenly had a degree epidemiology. (Much like when she was posing as a climate scientist.

After seeing the outrage on Twitter, Greta hastily retracted any notion that she knows what she is talking about.

“I am not an expert,” she emphasized.

On that, the world agrees.

Nosuperstition

Post by Nosuperstition »

Ariel wrote:Image Fools...

Greta Thunberg:
Today I’m addressing the European Commission and the European Parliament in Brussels.
Greta Thunberg sits next to European Commission (EC) President Ursula von der Leyen ahead of the EC's weekly College of Commissioners meeting in Brussels.

Ah yes,someone who is driving climate change for more than 200 years is the same as those who have begun it just 70 to 80 years ago.And if I remember correctly,the West had devised/innovated means of a cleaner coal fuel that is relatively eco-friendly but had not shared that technology.Perhaps climate change would have slowed down had that technology been handed over at an affordable price.
palli or halli in Dravidian languages means a village just like gaav in Aryan languages means a village.palli or halli in Aryan Mauryan Imperial era around 200 B.C designates a tribal hamlet.So many of those in South India are indeed descendants of tribals and are still keeping up that heritage.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Greta is such a clever girl. Ze is an expert in everything.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Oh, dear.... :)

In a Swedish radio series about her campaigning, Greta Thunberg said that world leaders take selfies with her to “look good.”

The 17-year-old climate activist namedropped German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who apparently queued up for a photo with her at the UN Climate Change Summit in New York in September 2019.

“Perhaps it makes them forget the shame of their generation letting all future generations down,” she said. “I guess maybe it helps them to sleep at night.”
Greta Thunberg called out German Chancellor Angela Merkel for queuing up to take a selfie with her in order to ‘look good’

Greta Thunberg called out world leaders for taking selfies with her to “look good,” namedropping German Chancellor Angela Merkel, for one.

The 17-year-old climate activist made the comments during a series about her campaigning for Swedish radio, an English text of which was made available for the BBC.

Thunberg sailed across the Atlantic to address a special UN Climate Change Summit in New York in September 2019 where she passionately told world leaders: “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words … how dare you!”

According to Thunberg, Merkel queued for a selfie with her at the event, though, the activist stipulated that “it was not only [Merkel], it was many.”

She said: “Presidents, prime ministers, kings and princesses came and wanted to talk to me.

“They saw me and suddenly saw the chance that they could take a photo with me for their Instagram account. Then the hashtag #savetheplanet.

“Perhaps it makes them forget the shame of their generation letting all future generations down”, she said. “I guess maybe it helps them to sleep at night.”

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Spitting Image unveil the new puppet of Greta Thunberg, and many people are in an uproar

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Are there people care about the opinion of a European child with Aspergers when it comes to American politics? I hope not.
Climate activist Greta Thunberg shows support for Biden in rare political tweet

Teen climate-change fighter Greta Thunberg on Saturday showed support for Democrat Joe Biden, urging voters concerned about the environment to make their voices heard in the U.S. presidential election.

The Swedish 17-year-old said in a tweet that she never engages in party politics, but that “the upcoming US elections is above and beyond all that”.

“From a climate perspective it’s very far from enough and many of you of course supported other candidates. But, I mean…you know…damn! Just get organized and get everyone to vote #Biden,” she wrote.

Thunberg, who sparked a global climate protest movement after striking outside the Swedish parliament in 2018, could encourage participation among younger voters who are typically less likely to vote than older Americans.

After Thunberg was named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year in 2019, U.S President Donald Trump mocked the teen activist, tweeting she needed to “work on her anger management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend”.

Trump also sarcastically commented on Thunberg’s speech to a United Nations climate summit last year, in which she angrily denounced world leaders for failing to tackle climate change by demanding: “How dare you?”.

Thunberg and the Fridays for Future movement was nominated for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, which on Friday was awarded to The United Nations’ World Food Programme.

Trump, a Republican, has focused on dismantling former President Barack Obama’s climate agenda to free the energy and auto industries from the costs of regulations meant to protect health and the environment, while Biden has a focus on a new massive green infrastructure.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

:lol: Ahhh poor thing. I feel sorry for her.