The #metoo Movement--now becomes automatically guilty.

For topics which do not fit into any of the other categories.
glitch

The #metoo Movement--now becomes automatically guilty.

Post by glitch »

So, about a month after Manfred posted into on the Harvey Weinstein beginnings, two particulary came up.

The first was Chloe Dykstra's destruction of Chris Hardwick--this "accusation" came hard and fast and the results were devestating. Hardwick had to fight his way back to his job--and his innocence.
I notice as well, the immediate reaction was it must be true.

Which brings me to Brett Kavenaugh-the accusations against him i believe are utter lies, yet the mainstream media and most #metoo advocates have begun to treat the Accusation made whether by a crazed x-girlfriend or not as entirely true--so with this said--should be pursue legal action against people who make outright false claims?

Glitch

glitch

Re: The #metoo Movement--now becomes automatically guilty.

Post by glitch »

So no responses here, or anything?

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Too complicated for us, glitch, unless we follow US politics closely. And we'd problably have to be partisan, one way or the other. I get the impression that Trump's candidate is someone I'd disagree with a lot, yet dislike the witch-hunt against him. So I remain ambivalent. Best ignored here.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

manfred

Post by manfred »

I think it should be made an offence to falsely make such accusations, and people who a found to have made false accusations (as opposed to unproven ones) should be liable to pay compensation and also should serve a term in prison, commensurate to the damage done.

The balance is there matters has weirdly shifted over the years. Here in the UK we recently had the tale of an ageing pop star, named Cliff Richard, who was accused of having molested (I think) some man in the 70s... There was huge publicity and his house was searched in his absence, all covered by TV. The old man lived in a atmosphere of fear... he could not even do errants, and his reputation was seriously tarnished. Eventually he was cleared of the accusations, but the BBC is fighting a compensation order he was awarded against them. While his name was dragged through mud for about a year, his accuser enjoys anonymity.

Somehow, "innocent until proven guilty" seems to apply less and less to sexual accusations...

Maybe that is something we can thank some brands of "feminism" for.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

glitch

Post by glitch »

manfred wrote:I think it should be made an offence to falsely make such accusations, and people who a found to have made false accusations (as opposed to unproven ones) should be liable to pay compensation and also should serve a term in prison, commensurate to the damage done.

The balance is there matters has weirdly shifted over the years. Here in the UK we recently had the tale of an ageing pop star, named Cliff Richard, who was accused of having molested (I think) some man in the 70s... There was huge publicity and his house was searched in his absence, all covered by TV. The old man lived in a atmosphere of fear... he could not even do errants, and his reputation was seriously tarnished. Eventually he was cleared of the accusations, but the BBC is fighting a compensation order he was awarded against them. While his name was dragged through mud for about a year, his accuser enjoys anonymity.

Somehow, "innocent until proven guilty" seems to apply less and less to sexual accusations...

Have you read the latest. She wants Kavanaugh to go first, then her. What can he say, "I didn't do this.."
Then she gets to say whatever. She doesnt want him in the room with her--she doesn't want to testify under oath. I smell BS.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

manfred wrote:Somehow, "innocent until proven guilty" seems to apply less and less to sexual accusations...

No, it stems from the "(anti)social media". The mobs on Facebook and Twitter can get away with things that no newspaper editor would have even dreamed of printing... until now.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

glitch

Post by glitch »

Fernando wrote:No, it stems from the "(anti)social media". The mobs on Facebook and Twitter can get away with things that no newspaper editor would have even dreamed of printing... until now.
https://twitter.com/AmandaK_B/status/10 ... 1919485952

and then https://twitter.com/StrangelyLiterl/sta ... 3246930945

So if you look at them both, 1, Kavanaugh isn't being accused of Rape, he's being accused of attempted Rape.

The second is a reference to Brock Turner whose father said the Famous, bull about 20 seconds of action.

This is all emotional clap trap where people are set on bending the facts and the supposed actual statements--again as always, Kristin Ford is basically accusing without actually going to the police, and i'm sorry, when women tell men to step up, but don't consider that women should "step up " themselves before 36 years have passed--this is wrong.