the sword in the Bible

Does God exist? Is Allah God? Creation vs. evolution.
Is Religion needed? Logic vs. faith. Morality and ethics.
ronyvo

the sword in the Bible

Post by ronyvo »

The SWORD in the Bible
When discussing the violence in the Koran the word ‘sword’ in the Bible is always raised.
So, here are some verses from the Bible to clarify what the sword in the Bible is meant to be.

+ Ephesians 6:17 “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
+ Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart”
+ Revelations 1:16 16 “ He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.”
+ Revelations 2:16 “Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
+ Revelations 19:15 “ Now out of His mouth goes a sharp[a] sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
Revelations 19:21 “And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.
Luke 22:36 “ Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
Matthew 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.”
Mark 6:18 “Because John had said to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife”
Isiah 49:2 “And He has made My mouth like a sharp sword;
In the shadow of His hand He has hidden Me,
And made Me a polished shaft;
In His quiver He has hidden Me.”

Fernando

Re: the sword in the Bible

Post by Fernando »

Metaphors, in fact. Denied by fundamentalists.
Oh, and by Muslims - especially as regards Mo/Allah's metaphors.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah