The Burqa as a political polemic

Discuss world politics in relation to Islam and Muslims.
The Cat

The Burqa as a political polemic

Post by The Cat »

It is said that a veiled woman 'carries the flag of Islam' and as such much be seen as part of the political side of Islam,
in its admitted goal to install a theocratic Khalifat, into our Western world. This is very contrary to any of our values...
And quite seditious in its intend! So is a ban on the burqa a thing to promote, for the dignity of those enslaved women?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernardhe ... 63192.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People say, "The burqa is a dress, at most a costume. We're not going to make laws about clothing and costumes." Error. The burqa is not a dress, it's a message, one that clearly communicates the subjugation, the subservience, the crushing and the defeat of women. People say, "Perhaps it's subjugation, but it's done with consent. Get it out of your mind that malicious husbands, abusive fathers, and local tyrants are forcing the burqa on women who don't want to wear it." Fine. Except that voluntary servitude has never held water as an argument. The happy slave has never justified the fundamental, essential, ontological infamy of slavery. (...)

People evoke freedom of religion and conscience, freedom for each of us to choose and practice the religion of his or her choice; in the name of what can anyone forbid the faithful to honor God according to the rules indicated in their sacred texts? Another sophism, for -- and it can never be repeated enough -- the wearing of the burqa corresponds to no Koranic prescription. There is no verse, no text of the Sunna that obliges women to live in this prison of wire and cloth that is the full-body veil. (...) People say, "Let's not confuse things! Be careful, drawing attention to the burqa may encourage an Islamophobia -- itself a form of racism in disguise -- that's just dying to explode...... Still another sophism, tireless but absurd, for one has nothing to do with the other. Islamophobia -- and it can never be repeated enough -- is obviously not racism.

This is not about the burqa, it's about Voltaire. What is at stake is the Enlightenment of yesterday and today, and the heritage of both, no less sacred than that of the three monotheisms. A step backwards, just one, on this front would give the nod to all obscurantism, all fanaticism, all the true thoughts of hatred and violence. (...)

If the burqa is really, as I am saying, an affront to women and to their secular struggle for equality, it is, moreover, an insult to the women who, at the very hour I write these words, are demonstrating barefaced in Iran against a regime of assassins who claim the burqa among their symbols. This symbol would divide humanity between those of glorious body, graced with no less glorious a face, and those whose bodies and faces are an outrage in the flesh, a scandal, a filthy thing not to be seen but hidden or neutralized. And that is why, if there is even one woman in France, just one, who enters a hospital or the city hall imprisoned in a burqa, she must be set free. For all these reasons of principle, I am in favor of a law that clearly and plainly declares that wearing a burqa in the public area is anti-republican.
Authority has the same etymological root as authenticity.

Wootah

Re: The Burqa as a political polemic

Post by Wootah »

Wow a good article on huffpo ... and yet when I click the link it did't work.

I really liked what it said. A happy slave or a willing slave makes is no justification for slavery.

Islam is not a religion, it is a political system, talking about Allah and God is a total smokescreen to sharia.