Coronavirus news

Here you can discuss anything that you may find thought provoking, which does not fit in any other category.
manfred

Re: Coronavirus news

Post by manfred »

To be honest to me the measures our government are introducing or considering are bordering on the Kafkaesque.

For example, there is talk of new lockdowns. and of forcing all people over 50 (!) to remain in doors, for an undetermined period. This all reminds me of the movie "Logan's run", a scifi classic where everybody lived in a controlled space, a "bubble city", was not allowed to leave and lived under strict government control. People over 30 were not allowed in the City and were euthanised. Everybody was taught to fear the "outside" greatly and avoid it all cost.

If people over 50, all of them, have to shield, how will the schools be staffed. due to open in September? Where do we get all those young teachers from to cover the lessons? What about consultants in hospitals? How many are young men or women?

The latest madness is a proposal to make it law to wear goggles. What next. tin foil hats? Galoshes?

Another odd idea is to close pubs again to prevent spread in schools. I have no idea how that works....

If you ask me, governments should legislate for the MINIMUM disruption possible to allow an acceptable risk. On top of that there should be advice on what people can do in addition to keep safe. and this should be up to the individual. The statistical risk of catching Covid in the UK is about half that of being in a car accident this year.
In other countries this varies but not by a lot.

So if we can accept a risk using a car or bike, we also need to look at what is an acceptable risk to take in an epidemic. I am 90 years old, so it I have to die from this it does not bother me. We all have to go some time. I would not want to give it to someone though.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:12 pm

The latest madness is a proposal to make it law to wear goggles. What next. tin foil hats? Galoshes?
How about this?

The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

pr126

Post by pr126 »

Available from Amazon.com $127.00

Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

pr126

Post by pr126 »

Public Health Official Barbara Ferrer on the previous page looks like an exhumed corpse.

Maggie de Block suffers from anorexia or some other eating disorder.

And Hugo the Jong the shoe fetish. Where do you find them?

manfred

Post by manfred »

I am not sure it is anorexia..... possibly lekkere taarten met slagroom

pr126

Post by pr126 »

The anorexia comment was in jest.

She is what medically called morbidly obese.
Or as I say it, digging her grave with her teeth.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:49 pm
I am not sure it is anorexia..... possibly lekkere taarten met slagroom
She likes her food. That is true. In an article she admitted that she and her husband likes their food, and her husband says, Maggy is a great cook.

Did you know she is a medical doctor ?

manfred

Post by manfred »

A doctor? Excellent! I would love to have her as my doctor, she would never tell me to have a diet.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:47 pm
A doctor? Excellent! I would love to have her as my doctor, she would never tell me to have a diet.
:nono1: Not quite true Manfred. She said the Belguim kids are too fat, and they need to eat healty ,exercise, and lose weight.

So I guess ,even you would not be safe.
Maggie De Block (Open Vld), Federal Minister for Public Health, has allocated five million euros a year for the reimbursement of a visit to a dietician for overweight children, she announced on Monday.

The children will be able to have ten consultations over the course of two years. With this measure, De Block wants to lower the threshold for overweight children and their parents to look for professional help as much as possible.

The numbers show that the percentage of overweight and obese boys went up from 11 to 15% between 2006 and 2014, and up from 8 to 11% for girls. An estimated 75,000 children aged 6 to 17 years old will be able to enjoy this, the minister said. The measure was approved by the RIZIV (National Institute for Health and Disability Insurance) insurance committee.

“Being overweight at a young age is often a sign for chronic obesity problems at a later age, which means a greater risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes,” said De Block. “Scientific studies have shown that intervention in the diet of children leads to significant weight loss, and therefore a reduction of the risk.”

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Barricades in Madrid, clashes in Barcelona, looting in Logrono as anti-lockdown protests grip Spain

Spain has been gripped by violence as anti-lockdown protesters clash with police in multiple cities, including Madrid and Barcelona, over the state and regional governments’ move to toughen Covid-19 restrictions.
Protesters torched garbage containers and erected makeshift barricades on Gran Via, and reportedly smashed several store fronts elsewhere in central Madrid on Saturday night.

When police moved in to clear the unruly gathering, they were pelted with stones and flares, and reportedly fired blank bullets, forcing the protesters to disperse into nearby streets.

Meanwhile in Barcelona, police officers were pelted with stones and other projectiles, as they tried to disperse a smaller-scale anti-lockdown protest for the second consecutive night.

The regional government of Catalonia approved a new package of measures this week, including the perimeter confinement of each municipality, limiting people to their own district on weekends.

Clashes also took place in the Spanish city of Logrono, where protesters burned trash containers, smashed windows and looted several shops.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez urged Spaniards in a Saturday night tweet to show patience and demonstrate “responsibility, unity and sacrifice” to defeat the global pandemic, while condemning the “violent and irrational behavior” by a “small minority” of the population.

Spain's parliament approved a six-month extension of the national state of emergency last week, granting regional authorities more power to tackle the country's second wave of Covid-19. This is Spain's third extension to the state of emergency during the pandemic and will be in force until May 9, but with an option for it to be lifted on March 9.

Under this new extension, regional governments have the power to control freedom of movement and curfew times without having to go through complicated fortnightly procedures in parliament. Since then, many regions have toughened their coronavirus measures, with nighttime curfews, lockdowns and travel restrictions.