Coronavirus news

Here you can discuss anything that you may find thought provoking, which does not fit in any other category.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ariel
Posts: 7751
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:34 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Ariel »

Oh, dear...The church need a spiritual leader, and not a leftist activist .Perhaps the pope should have a talk to Greta about this.

Pope Francis Says Pandemic Is ‘Nature’s Response’ to Human Inaction over Climate Change

Pope Francis said he believes the Chinese coronavirus pandemic is “certainly nature’s response” to humanity’s failure to address the “partial catastrophes” wrought by human-induced climate change.

Asked by British journalist Austen Ivereigh whether the COVID-19 crisis is an opportunity for an “ecological conversion,” the pontiff reasserted his belief that humanity has provoked nature by not responding adequately to the climate crisis.

“There is an expression in Spanish: ‘God always forgives, we forgive sometimes, but nature never forgives,’” Francis said in the interview published Wednesday. “We did not respond to the partial catastrophes. Who now speaks of the fires in Australia, or remembers that a year and a half ago a boat could cross the North Pole because the glaciers had all melted? Who speaks now of the floods?”

“I don’t know if it is nature’s revenge, but it is certainly nature’s response,” he added.

“Every crisis contains both danger and opportunity: the opportunity to move out from the danger,” he said. “Today I believe we have to slow down our rate of production and consumption and to learn to understand and contemplate the natural world.”

Late last month the pope expressed this same belief to a Spanish journalist, insisting that the coronavirus pandemic is nature’s cry for humans to take better care of creation.

Asked whether the COVID-19 pandemic is nature’s way of taking “revenge” on humanity, the pontiff suggested that nature is calling for attention.

“Fires, earthquakes … nature is throwing a tantrum so that we will take care of her,” he said.

Last December as well, the pope said that natural disasters such as a massive storm that struck northern Italy in the fall of 2018 are nature’s way of sounding an alarm to make us more environmentally engaged.

“These are events that frighten us,” Francis said. “They are alarm signals that creation sends us, which summon us to immediately take effective decisions to safeguard our common home.”

In 2015, Francis became the first pope in history to devote an entire encyclical letter to the issue of care for the environment, in which he decried human exploitation of nature.

The earth “now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her,” Francis wrote. “We have come to see ourselves as her lords and masters, entitled to plunder her at will. The violence present in our hearts, wounded by sin, is also reflected in the symptoms of sickness evident in the soil, in the water, in the air and in all forms of life.”

“Now, faced as we are with global environmental deterioration, I wish to address every person living on this planet,” the pope continued, comparing the ecological crisis to the nuclear crisis of the Cold War era.

Francis has also tended to personalize nature, suggesting that it “cries out” when it is mistreated.

Situations such as a loss of biodiversity and economic inequality “have caused sister earth, along with all the abandoned of our world, to cry out, pleading that we take another course,” he wrote. “Never have we so hurt and mistreated our common home as we have in the last two hundred years.”

Since then, the pope has become one of the most vocal opponents of global warming, urging “drastic measures” to combat “a climate emergency that gravely threatens nature and life itself.”

“Too many of us act like tyrants with regard to creation,” he declared. “Let us make an effort to change and to adopt more simple and respectful lifestyles!”

“Now is the time to abandon our dependence on fossil fuels and move, quickly and decisively, towards forms of clean energy and a sustainable and circular economy. Let us also learn to listen to indigenous peoples, whose age-old wisdom can teach us how to live in a better relationship with the environment,” he said.

Francis has also scolded political leaders for their half-hearted response to the climate crisis, suggesting that their “weak” resolve in cutting emissions reveals a lack of political will.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

Now that is an interesting theory.... Someone needs to ask him what nature protested against in the various outbreaks of "black death"? Also perhaps, what is nature reacting to/God punishing us for in malaria? . Also, if God sends diseases as punishment is it not therefore wrong to try to treat them? I am starting to think he is getting a bit senile. It is not surprising that he is hugely unpopular in the Vatican.

I dispear of that man ... he has done more than any recent pope to alienate people from Christianity. He should offer words of comfort to those who have lost relatives, spouses, friends... ask people to have courage to do everything they can to spread the virus and listen to the medical advice, and telling them that all outbreaks eventually end. He could have talked about Job, who accepted whatever fate brought him in the firm belief that in the end it would all come to rights. And he was not disappointed. We don't need someone or something to blame, we need hope to overcome the crisis.

Cheap explanations without basis in fact are the last thing we need.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

Apparently to some this pandemic is a weapon to use against Israel, according to a spokesman for Hamas.



What is also interesting is that while Hamas does not accept anything from "the Zionist entity" they demand ventilators, or they will stop "six million Jews" from breathing....Presumably that is a reference to the holocaust that they also say never happened.

It is unbelievable that the people in the Gaza strip listen to this man. His hate makes him incoherent.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by SAM »

manfred wrote:SAM, why do you think the US is experiencing this outbreak particularly badly? And why does this please you?
I thought you are still on your deathbed with the support of a ventilator while waiting for Jesus to come to take your soul. :lol:

Because of Trump's arrogant fool who has a lot of convolution and lies about the coronavirus occurs in the US. And he does not want to blame his own idiots and foolishness and blames China and then WHO.

Trump always says, "America First" so that coronaviruses compete with other countries to make America number ONE... :lotpot:
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

I
thought you are still on your deathbed with the support of a ventilator while waiting for Jesus to come to take your soul.
Sorry to disappoint.
Because of Trump's arrogant fool who has a lot of convolution and lies about the coronavirus occurs in the US. And he does not want to blame his own idiots and foolishness and blames China and then WHO.
Personally, I think the blame game is silly. We should all cooperate to finish this as soon as humanly possible. I don't think there is a single government who steered through this without a single mistake. That is something to look at when it is over.
Trump always says, "America First" so that coronaviruses compete with other countries to make America number ONE...
I don't get it SAM.... you like reading about the many deaths? They look like mere numbers, but each and every one has friends, husbands, wives, children, parents. Each will be missed and people will cry for each and every one. And each of the dead will leave a gaping hole in our world.
And all you can think of is using this tragedy as am opportunity for platitudes. You sadden me.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by SAM »

manfred wrote:I [
I don't get it SAM.... you like reading about the many deaths? They look like mere numbers, but each and every one has friends, husbands, wives, children, parents. Each will be missed and people will cry for each and every one. And each of the dead will leave a gaping hole in our world.
And all you can think of is using this tragedy as am opportunity for platitudes. You sadden me.
But why did Trump put malicious pressure on Iran not to lift sanctions for medicines and hospital equipment, despite the UN, WHO and all world leaders pleading. He knew many innocent Iranians would die in Iran

He thought that Iran’s regime will collapse as a result of the coronavirus... :nono1:

Trump clearly has an extreme narcissistic personality disorder and being mentally unfit for POTUS.. :yuk:
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

But why did Trump put malicious pressure on Iran not to lift sanctions for medicines and hospital equipment, despite the UN, WHO and all world leaders pleading. He knew many innocent Iranians would die in Iran.
SAM. it appears you are not fully informed on this.
“The whole world should know that humanitarian assistance to Iran is wide open, it’s not sanctioned,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a Friday briefing with President Donald Trump at the White House.

“We are doing everything we can to facilitate the humanitarian assistance moving in and to make sure that the financial transactions connected to that can take place as well. There is no sanction on medicines going to Iran, there is no sanctions on humanitarian assistance going into that country. They’ve got a terrible problem there and we want that humanitarian, medical assistance to get to the people of Iran,” the nation’s top diplomat added.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/coronav ... elief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a suggestion, try to get your information from a RANGE of sources, to avoid being taken in by people.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
Takeiteasynow
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Takeiteasynow »

Good to see that everything is back to normal. :D
Abraham= H'ammu'rab(b)i, Historical Muhammad=Benjamin of Tiberias. Islam: Syncretic Israelite Yahwishm Deity: nameless, epithets Dsr, El Qutbay, ʼAlâhâ, Allāh. Ka'ba: Kutha => Samaria => Petra=> Makkah. Hijrah 622: Petra => Kerak

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by SAM »

manfred wrote: SAM. it appears you are not fully informed on this.
“The whole world should know that humanitarian assistance to Iran is wide open, it’s not sanctioned,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a Friday briefing with President Donald Trump at the White House.

“We are doing everything we can to facilitate the humanitarian assistance moving in and to make sure that the financial transactions connected to that can take place as well. There is no sanction on medicines going to Iran, there is no sanctions on humanitarian assistance going into that country. They’ve got a terrible problem there and we want that humanitarian, medical assistance to get to the people of Iran,” the nation’s top diplomat added.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/coronav ... elief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a suggestion, try to get your information from a RANGE of sources, to avoid being taken in by people.
I'm aware, but Iran doesn't buy it easily. Because they know the US has a hidden agenda and don't trust US honesty. History has shown that Humanitarian Aid was used as a weapon to bring down every government hated by the US.
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
Ariel
Posts: 7751
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:34 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Ariel »

Turkey.

Turkey’s slow step-by-step approach to societal lockdown adds a further measure, this time banning people leaving their homes in all major cities for 48 hours.

Basically, on Monday it’s back to work for those between 20 and 65. The public health vs economy debate in action.
Can Okar

This is what happens when you announce a 48 hour lockdown three hours before it starts. As if COVID-19 wasn’t a problem enough already, tonight it gets a chance to spread like wildfire in all of the biggest cities of Turkey.

Image
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

I'm aware, but Iran doesn't buy it easily. Because they know the US has a hidden agenda and don't trust US honesty. History has shown that Humanitarian Aid was used as a weapon to bring down every government hated by the US.
Please give me an example of the US using humanitarian aid to bring down a government.

The reality is the Iranian government would not accept any help from the "great Satan" as it would make their propaganda look hollow. So they rather have people die than loose face.

A similar problem exists for the "Palestinians" who will not accept help from Israel, for similar reasons.

This is how playing politics with this crisis costs lives.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
Hombre
Posts: 3741
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 am

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Hombre »

SAM wrote:I'm aware, but Iran doesn't buy it easily. Because they know the US has a hidden agenda and don't trust US honesty. History has shown that Humanitarian Aid was used as a weapon to bring down every government hated by the US.
what the hell are you talking about? 80% of the Iranians - the young generation in particular hate this despotic regime.
They wish not go back to the 7th century form of living. All their young want is join the world community to exchange ideas & live as free as any other democracies.

User avatar
Hombre
Posts: 3741
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 am

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Hombre »

manfred wrote:Apparently to some this pandemic is a weapon to use against Israel, according to a spokesman for Hamas.



What is also interesting is that while Hamas does not accept anything from "the Zionist entity" they demand ventilators, or they will stop "six million Jews" from breathing....Presumably that is a reference to the holocaust that they also say never happened.

It is unbelievable that the people in the Gaza strip listen to this man. His hate makes him incoherent.
This stupid guy knows better NOT even think about infecting Israelis with CV.
Just another Palestinian dog barking in the dark.

User avatar
Hombre
Posts: 3741
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 am

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Hombre »

Takeiteasynow wrote:Good to see that everything is back to normal. :D
Yeah but it is not normal to see SAM-the bull is also back. :lol:

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

This is a rather revealing, and also disturbing, report from a South African man who has lived in China for many years, and also has a Chinese wife.



In short, the report says that in China the outbreak is blamed entirely on foreigners who experiences racist attacks. He produces evidence in the form of official sign posts and clips.

And foreigners, and specially those from African countries, are common called a "virus", they experience forceful evictions from their homes and many other discriminations, including violent ones.

So if anyone in thinking of working in China, don't.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by SAM »

manfred wrote: Please give me an example of the US using humanitarian aid to bring down a government.

The reality is the Iranian government would not accept any help from the "great Satan" as it would make their propaganda look hollow. So they rather have people die than loose face.

A similar problem exists for the "Palestinians" who will not accept help from Israel, for similar reasons.

This is how playing politics with this crisis costs lives.
Sorry to say. I think you are too old or senile to know the worst, the history of US military attacks and interventions in Central America, South America and the Caribbean from 1800 to the present. And Humanitarian Aid was also used to smuggle weapons and help support covert efforts to expand military aid to the counter-insurgency efforts to help fight another country.

Venezuela, Cuba, Iran and other countries that are hated by the US prefer to receive Humanitarian Aid from other countries than the US.

Israel and US are both Great Satan, Palestinians prefer to receive Humanitarian Aid from other countries as well, not the US and Israel. :whistling:
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

SAM my tolerance to rudeness is wearing thin. if you are merely here to be rude, go away. If you can't I will help you. You have not answered my question. I did not ask you about any military actions by anyone. I asked you about an example when the US government used humanitarian aid to topple a government, as that was your claim. You did not respond, but instead made a new claim:
Humanitarian Aid was also used to smuggle weapons
So please also provide evidence that the US government used humanitarian aid to smuggle weapons.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by SAM »

manfred wrote:SAM my tolerance to rudeness is wearing thin. if you are merely here to be rude, go away. If you can't I will help you. You have not answered my question. I did not ask you about any military actions by anyone. I asked you about an example when the US government used humanitarian aid to topple a government, as that was your claim. You did not respond, but instead made a new claim:
Humanitarian Aid was also used to smuggle weapons
So please also provide evidence that the US government used humanitarian aid to smuggle weapons.
I summarize or cite a bit, not the whole page. Because I know you won't read all of them.

The examples are numerous. The United States sought to overthrow Chile’s socialist president Salvador Allende in the 1970s, a move that eventually led to the brutal 27-year rule of Augusto Pinochet. It used a humanitarian-aid program in Nicaragua in the 1980s to hide $27 million in weapons for right-wing groups fighting a leftist government, fueling a civil war (a scandal that involved Elliott Abrams, who is now Donald Trump’s special envoy for Venezuela). And in 1989, the U.S. left hundreds of civilians dead in Panama when American forces invaded to overthrow the country’s de facto leader, Manuel Noriega.

Source: A Short History of U.S. Interventions in Latin America and the Caribbean.

The U.S. effort to distribute tons of food and medicine to needy Venezuelans is more than just a humanitarian mission. The operation is also designed to foment regime change in Venezuela — which is why much of the international aid community wants nothing to do with it. Humanitarian operations are supposed to be neutral.

That’s why the International Committee of the Red Cross, United Nations agencies and other relief organizations have refused to collaborate with the U.S. and its allies in the Venezuelan opposition who are trying to force President Nicolás Maduro from power.

The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) has warned that air cargo companies hired to deliver humanitarian aid and support peacekeeping operations in Africa are also often used to smuggle weapons.
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11617
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by manfred »

A link would be useful, SAM.

Now let's have a look. There are several issues here:
a) we have an accusation without evidence:
It used a humanitarian-aid program in Nicaragua in the 1980s to hide $27 million in weapons for right-wing groups fighting a leftist government.
"It" is referring to the US government. Where is the evidence? What we need is a report showing us US weapons discovered hidden in humanitarian aid, and evidence that this was in fact ordered or arranged by the US government. Also, given that humanitarian aid would normally distributed by local government officials, not rebels, this sound a tall tale to me, because it would be a very stupid way to smuggle weapons, but perhaps you have evidence?

b) we have an opinion:
The U.S. effort to distribute tons of food and medicine to needy Venezuelans is more than just a humanitarian mission.
This is the view of the writer, and therefore no evidence for anything. If the US had not provided aid, there would of course also be accusations, so this is not a valid argument.

c) we have a generalisation:
humanitarian aid and support peacekeeping operations in Africa are also often used to smuggle weapons.
This is a general statement of a view, without any support of facts and figures. It does not say anything at all about he US doing anything. It merely suggests, without evidence, that something happens "often".


So I am not impressed by the evidence, but thank you for making an effort anyway. Perhaps you have a follow up to address these issues I mentioned?


We do have an odd contradiction though, if you think about it, SAM.... on one hand you complained about the US blocking humanitarian aid to Iran, which turns out to be not the case, and on the other, you say Iran neither should nor would accept any such aid anyway.

If it would not be accepted then why even talk about if the US wants to send any or not? The answer is that the Iranian government plays politics with this crisis and does not care if this causes deaths in Iran.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

User avatar
Ariel
Posts: 7751
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:34 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Coronavirus Interactive Map

Post by Ariel »

THOUSANDS OF AFGHANS stuck in Pakistan storm the border after Afghan officials lift Covid-19 restrictions

Thousands of Afghans charged across the Pakistani border to their homeland, overwhelming authorities and bypassing official attempts to check paperwork, temperatures, and enforce quarantine.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

Post Reply