Do they have this in your town?

Here you can discuss anything that you may find thought provoking, which does not fit in any other category.
manfred

Do they have this in your town?

Post by manfred »

Hi,

I have just returned from a short trip to a town in Southern France, by the name of Nice. (pronounced like the relative "niece") Sorry mention stuff people in Europe would know, it's just for the benefit of those from other parts of the world.

I went with some friends, and got bullied into climbing the hill where the old fort used to be. At my age that nearly killed me, hundreds upon hundreds of steps.... and I got even more miffed when I found out on the top that there was a bus....

On the top was a waterfall and and little park. But there was also something else. Something I have not seen in other places. The mayor of the city of Nice set up, in a a quiet corner of the little park, two monuments for "victims of terrorism". He has chosen a sort of middle way between "political correct speech" and calling a spade a spade.

On man who is memorised there, is described as "murdered by savage fanatics in Algeria", leaving little to the imagination, but avoiding the "M" word....

There are memorial stones also for two women who were "murdered in Westgate, Nairobi" for "not knowing the name of the mother of religious leader".

These were three people from the city of Nice, and they plight will not be forgotten any time soon.

I am just wondering, are victims of Islamic violence remembered in your town? Are there memorial stones? Do you know any other cities who have this? Tel Aviv?

Why is this kind of thing so uncommon?
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"
pr126

Re: Do they have this in your town?

Post by pr126 »

No, we don't have these things. We have no Muslims either.
It is politically incorrect. Racist. Islamophobic. Hateful. Bigoted. :nono1: /sarc
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Never heard of it. I googled if I could find other such monuments in Europe. But no.

I looked up the mayor of Nice. His name is Christian Estrosi and I guess he might be right wing because he is anti mosque.

Googled that too, and yes... ;) Mayor of Nice accused of 'stigmatising' Muslim population.
The Right-wing mayor of Nice has been accused of "stigmatising" the southern French town's Muslim population after passing a decree on "noisy" town hall weddings, in particular cheering, whistling and foreign flag-waving, which he says disturb the peace.
Well..... the people of nice should be proud of their mayor. They should cherish him.

He looks like a nice handsome man to me. ( my type of guy :oops: )
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.
manfred

Post by manfred »

pr126 wrote:No, we don't have these things. We have no Muslims either.
It is politically incorrect. Racist. Islamophobic. Hateful. Bigoted. :nono1: /sarc
So it seems in most of the world the victims of Muslim violence are paying twice... first with their lives and then they become a political embarrassment to be hidden and forgotten about.

I wonder if the the holocaust had happened in the 21 century, would it be equally "bigoted" or "hateful" to remember those victims? Amazingly we have made in a crime in much Europe to deny the holocaust, and rightly so, but at the same time we stand by and let other totalitarian violence be appeased and swept under the carpet.
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Not the standard Muslim terrorism, but there's a memorial in London on the site where PC Yvonne Fletcher was killed by a shot from the Libyan empassy during the siege there in 1984. Her killers are not mentioned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yvonne_Fletcher
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah
Garudaman

Post by Garudaman »

we dont have it, but we have similiar to what you want : https://monterre.wordpress.com/2013/11/ ... ila-sakti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I can told you what if you have it :
http://time.com/4295474/indonesia-1965- ... ciliation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.ucanews.com/news/indonesian ... tool/80387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -massacres" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a decree banning Indonesians with any family ties to the former Indonesian Communist party (PKI) from government jobs and positions with the military and police.

The 1981 regulation currently excludes an estimated 40 millionpeople from such positions.

“These are people who haven’t done anything wrong. They might have had a grandparent or a great-grandparent who was allegedly affiliated with the PKI,” Kenneth Roth, the executive director of Human Rights Watch, told reporters in Jakarta.
manfred

Post by manfred »

How is this similar?