The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Here you can discuss anything that you may find thought provoking, which does not fit in any other category.

User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

Well, for Muslims nothing really, because Allah created all life, so the subject is moot.
It is unislamic, haram. There is absolutely no point in pursuing it any further.
If Allah wanted you to know, he would have put it in the Quran.

For unbelievers, it is the origins and development of all life.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

User avatar
manfred
Posts: 11549
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by manfred »

What both are trying to do is to make sense of things we can observe, and both are trying to use scientific methods to to achieve that.



Living beings change and adapt, or they die out. Evolution is the study of the change of organisms in response to the environment. In humans, skin colour is such an adaptation to the environment. Random variations prove useful or not. If they have a survival value then they are retained, if not,then they die out.

Abiogenesis is trying to explore and explain the mechanics of how life started in the first place, at the level of chemistry.

Now < am just curious, imagine you, as a Muslim become a school teacher teaching science. How would you tackle these topics?
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"


User avatar
Garudaman
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 am

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by Garudaman »

manfred wrote:What both are trying to do is to make sense of things we can observe, and both are trying to use scientific methods to to achieve that.

Living beings change and adapt, or they die out. Evolution is the study of the change of organisms in response to the environment. In humans, skin colour is such an adaptation to the environment. Random variations prove useful or not. If they have a survival value then they are retained, if not,then they die out.

Abiogenesis is trying to explore and explain the mechanics of how life started in the first place, at the level of chemistry.
if the point is about survival, then why they should do it/trying to do it (no living being doing abiogenesis & living being doing evolution), while the energy & so on matter, basically is eternal?
manfred wrote:Now < am just curious, imagine you, as a Muslim become a school teacher teaching science. How would you tackle these topics?
why it should be difficult? human is mutating from monkey or born from born from the mating between monkey and pig as what the scientist tell recently, is never contradict with God creating Adam from mud because monkey basically is also mud creature!

:???:

User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

Garudaman wrote:
pr126 wrote:For unbelievers, it is the origins and development of all life.
the question is what the point/aim/purpose, not what the means! :roll:
Let me rephrase your question then.

What is the point / aim / purpose of ANY scientific inquiry, development, exploration, inventions?

Absolutely no point/aim/purpose at all. Everything that we need to know is already written it the Quran for us.

Garudaman wrote:
human is mutating from monkey or born from born from the mating between monkey and pig as what the scientist tell recently, is never contradict with God creating Adam from mud because monkey basically is also mud creature!
I think you have described it almost coherently :smartass:.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

User avatar
Garudaman
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 am

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by Garudaman »

pr126 wrote:
Garudaman wrote:
pr126 wrote:For unbelievers, it is the origins and development of all life.
the question is what the point/aim/purpose, not what the means! :roll:
Let me rephrase your question then.

What is the point / aim / purpose of ANY scientific inquiry, development, exploration, inventions?
there's two kind of invention, first the invention that make life/survive easier, & two the invention that make life more more enjoyable, for the first kind my question is still same, why it should do while the matter basically is eternal?, & for the second kind my question is why should develop/evolve so advanced if is just for fun?

;)

User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

Sorry Garudaman, I am not qualified to teach evolution.
Besides, I am not sure whether you want to explore science or you want a theological argument.

There is an authority on the subject here in the UK, his name is Professor Richard Dawkins.
Try some of his books, available on Amazon.com.

The selfish Gene

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Blind Watchmaker

The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life

The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Gene

Unweaving the Rainbow:

Climbing Mount Improbable
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.


User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

I am surprised that you ask this question.

The answer is simple. It was the will of Allah.
It is all in the Quran.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.


sum
Posts: 6520
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by sum »

Hello Garudaman

Neither god nor matter "want" it to happen. It is all a matter of chance and the survival of chemistry leading to primitive life. That which can not survive in its environment will die off whereas that which can survive in that same environment will prosper. There will be continuous minor changes which again lead to Darwinism - the survival of the fittest. And so it goes on.

I do not consider that the natural state gives a spiritual purpose to life. It is all chance and Darwinism. The man-made Golden Rule enables societies to take care of each other within that society which in turn makes that society more able to survive.

Religion is a method of giving a purpose to life as well as controlling the masses. Religion comes from man and not a god. I do not have any problems with religions except for one - Islam. Unfortunately Islam does not bind people together but causes divisions and controls though indoctrination, brutality and fear.

As you are a muslim who believes in Allah, have you ever wondered where Allah was before he created the universe. There would be absolutely nothing - not even a vacuum. Where would he be? Was he bored and to relieve the boredom he created the singularity and the big bang, sat back and watched everything evolve even without any help from himself?

sum

User avatar
Garudaman
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 am

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by Garudaman »

sum wrote:The man-made Golden Rule enables societies to take care of each other within that society which in turn makes that society more able to survive.
why we need to take care of each other/why it necessary, while/anyway in the end we/society/matter/energy will survive after all (if we're extinct, we still can evolve again)? :sml:

User avatar
Garudaman
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 am

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by Garudaman »

should we switch places? here's my thought : the true purpose of evolution, is to improving more function, thus can presenting more function, please argue! ;)
Last edited by Garudaman on Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sum
Posts: 6520
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by sum »

Hello Garudaman

Your quote -
why we need to take care of each other/why it necessary

Taking care of each other binds people together. It is an evolutionary development that helps people to survive. Could you survive as an individual if you had to provide your own shelter, gather food and protect yourself and your family if there was no help from anyone else? Could you build your own home? Could you provide food? Could you provide fuel and warmth? We all need each other to survive and society to prosper.

The Golden Rule satisfies these requirements but unfortunately the Golden Rule in Islam just relates to muslim societies and only within individual sects of Islam.

sum

User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

sum wrote:
The Golden Rule satisfies these requirements but unfortunately the Golden Rule in Islam just relates to muslim societies and only within individual sects of Islam.
I would narrow it down even further, the tribe or clan first.
See first cousin marriages in Islam.

Two main reasons, one is the culture of mistrust of external tribes / clans, and two, the wealth remains in the tribe.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

User avatar
Garudaman
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:39 am

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by Garudaman »

sum wrote:Hello Garudaman

Your quote -
why we need to take care of each other/why it necessary

Taking care of each other binds people together. It is an evolutionary development that helps people to survive. Could you survive as an individual if you had to provide your own shelter, gather food and protect yourself and your family if there was no help from anyone else? Could you build your own home? Could you provide food? Could you provide fuel and warmth? We all need each other to survive and society to prosper.

The Golden Rule satisfies these requirements but unfortunately the Golden Rule in Islam just relates to muslim societies and only within individual sects of Islam.

sum

why do you corrupt the question? the question should be like this :

why we need to take care of each other/why it necessary, while/anyway in the end we/society/matter/energy will survive after all (if we're extinct, we still can evolve again)?

no wonder, your answer doesn't connect! :lotpot:

User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

@ Garudaman

I am puzzled as why do you pursue the question of abiogenesis and evolution here on FFI forums.
FFI is not an academic forum where these subject can be discussed and debated with any scientific authority.

If you really want to know the answers to these questions then you should frequent appropriate scholarly forums or learning facilities available freely on the internet.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.


User avatar
pr126
Posts: 5298
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Blighty

Re: The True Purpose of Abiogenesis & so on Evolution

Post by pr126 »

Garudaman wrote:what do you mean by scientific? abiogenesis hasn't been proven scientifically, you know! :wot:
Well then. Allah did it.
Wasn't that the purpose of you opening this thread in the first place?

Just trying to save time arguing when you have all the answers written for you 1400 years ago.
Isn't this convenient? You don't need to think at all.
All the thinking has been done for you. How wonderful.
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

Post Reply