Smillies may be infected

How to improve our website. Basic support with some common software.
Fernando

Smillies may be infected

Post by Fernando »

I've just clicked on Farside's latest post and my virus scanner has jumped in and said that it has "aborted connection to bestsmileys.com because it was infected with URL:Mal"
I could still see the big smiley of mass praying, I don't know what might have gone unseen.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

manfred

Re: Smillies may be infected

Post by manfred »

I looked at " bestsmileys.com " and it seems they have not paid the bill....
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

manfred wrote:I looked at " bestsmileys.com " and it seems they have not paid the bill....
I think it must be something more than just not having an SSL https certificate. There has been a grumble going on between Sept 2017 and Sept 2018 on the AVG forum about "false positive" URL:Mal detections on other sites. As it is, AVG blocks the entire bestsmileys.com site so it must be spotting something trying to load after Farside's giant smiley appears. Is that where the exta smileys come from?
Strange but at least nothing seems to be getting through to my computer. I hope!
PS: I can load and preview the smiley without alert. I'll see if it causes the alert once I've submitted it :kneel:
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:
manfred wrote:I looked at " bestsmileys.com " and it seems they have not paid the bill....
I think it must be something more than just not having an SSL https certificate. There has been a grumble going on between Sept 2017 and Sept 2018 on the AVG forum about "false positive" URL:Mal detections on other sites. As it is, AVG blocks the entire bestsmileys.com site so it must be spotting something trying to load after Farside's giant smiley appears. Is that where the exta smileys come from?
Strange but at least nothing seems to be getting through to my computer. I hope!
PS: I can load and preview the smiley without alert. I'll see if it causes the alert once I've submitted it :kneel:
EDIT:
Yes, can see the page without an alert. Now to confirm that's not the case with the original post.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:
Fernando wrote:
EDIT:
Yes, can see the page without an alert. Now to confirm that's not the case with the original post.
EDIT
Yes, I still get the alert when loading the page in the Mohammed thread with Farside's post. So it's evidently not coming from the smiley itself, but from something trying to load afterwards.

manfred

Post by manfred »

Hi I had a look around his posts.... I did realise there were quite so many. Could you give me a link to the problem page?

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

manfred wrote:Hi I had a look around his posts.... I did realise there were quite so many. Could you give me a link to the problem page?
viewtopic.php?f=20&p=242086#p242086
It's the last post, before mine, on the Did Mo form a religion thread.
FWIW it happened again when I checked, but not when I wondered if I'd got the right url and checked a second time - perhaps because it whatever it was had already been blocked.

manfred

Post by manfred »

Oh I went there and I had no problem... I have access to 4 computers, I will try them all. Anyone else ?

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

A little more information.
I never bothered to look at the "more details" option on the AVG virus message.
It says the problem is with http://bestsmileys.com/aliens/14.gif
Which does seem to agree that they haven't an HTTPS certificate btw.
As I think I mentioned, the supposed virus seems to trigger AVG and Avast.
What are other people's experiences with these or other defenses?