Flash YouTube video problem

How to improve our website. Basic support with some common software.
Fernando

Flash YouTube video problem

Post by Fernando »

The Firefox browser has disabled the Adobe Flash Player so I cannot watch YouTube videos posted on the forum. Googling tells me that lots of people are worried about security weaknesses in the Adobe player so I'm reluctant to just upgrade to a version that isn't blocked.
I was surprised to find that a David Woods video played OK and said it was using an HTML5 viewer. Firefox seems to have automatically loaded the plugin for that, but only that one video will play, so far.
Does anyone know please how to get browsers to play Flash videos without using the Adobe Flash plugin? It looks like being very important if other versions of the Adobe player get blocked. Worse if other weaknesses get through without being spotted.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

manfred

Re: Flash YouTube video problem

Post by manfred »

I have upgraded the flashplayer, why are worried about the new version?
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

pr126

Post by pr126 »

Download the latest flash from Adobe.
There are security problems with what you have, and Firefox stops it.
Same here, the new flash works fine.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/07/theres ... g-blocked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Thanks Manfred and PR. I was worried because Firefox blocked my version of Flash quite a while after it was last upgraded, as if they'd only just discovered the flaw. Then I Googled it and found several technical articles saying it was time for Flash to go and be replaced by an HTML5 viewer - which happened automatically with the David Woods video I mentioned. So I hoped I could go the whole hog and get rid of Flash before they find more flaws. It only needs one video to be infected and Flash to be insecure to cause big problems.
However, I'll probably get fed up of missing videos before I find an answer - then Ill have loads to catch up on!
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

I gave up and updated. All seems to be fine, thanks.