Firefox not showing images.

How to improve our website. Basic support with some common software.
Fernando

Firefox not showing images.

Post by Fernando »

Firefox has begun failing to show SOME images which are visible in other browsers eg Opera and Chrome. For example:
Where other browsers show the image, I just see "image".
I can get round it, of course, but it's a nuisance and I've read somewhere that Google has altered... something... that affects web sites in such a way that Firefox cannot show images from the sites. How Google could do this, unless Google software is being used to write the code for the site, I cannot imagine.
Does anyone know anything about this, or can you spot anything peculiar about those urls?
I've tried taking out the :small from the end, as above, but it makes no difference.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

manfred

Re: Firefox not showing images.

Post by manfred »

Maybe this helps
Check image permissions for a specific website

Firefox allows you to prevent images from loading for certain websites to make pages load faster. If you are having trouble viewing images for a specific website:

Click the Site Identity Button (the website’s icon to the left of its address).
Click the More information… button in the prompt. The Page Info window will open.
Select the Permissions panel.
Make sure Allow is selected next to Load Images.
Close the Page Info window.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... s-not-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Thanks Manfred!
Strangely, I couldn't find that "load images" setting, but I noticed that Firefox reported that it had blocked some content from the site. I switched off all the blocking temporarily and Lo! Ariel's images from Twitter appeared!
I'm now wondering what was in those images that made Firefox suspicious of them. I haven't time now, but I'll see if any individual blocking instruction is responsible. My immediate suspicion is that Twitter images have trackers in them!
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:Thanks Manfred!
Strangely, I couldn't find that "load images" setting, but I noticed that Firefox reported that it had blocked some content from the site. I switched off all the blocking temporarily and Lo! Ariel's images from Twitter appeared!
I'm now wondering what was in those images that made Firefox suspicious of them. I haven't time now, but I'll see if any individual blocking instruction is responsible. My immediate suspicion is that Twitter images have trackers in them!
It looks as though the source of the images, pbs.twimg.com is the problem - Firefox is blocking it as a source of trackers. Why am I not surprised that a site belonging to Twitter does this?
The problem goes back to 2016 (so it's probably the fault of Brexit) and it may be that the site may sometimes dish up trackers, sometimes not and is being blocked just-in-case. OTOH, they may have found how to differentiate by now - I see lots of images from Twitter but have never looked at the urls.
Theres a discussion below, but the technicalities are beyond me!
https://github.com/mozilla/blok/issues/187