The Maldives, climate change and Islam

Prove Islam is from God, why it is the 'One True Religion'.
Bob

The Maldives, climate change and Islam

Post by Bob »

The Maldive Islands have got a new and young president, Mohammed Nasheed. He was a political prisoner under the previous regime and his country is now getting a good press. According to Reporters Without Borders: " Maldives is in the process of becoming one of the Asian countries that most respects press freedom" and the country has jumped 56 places in the press freedom leagues.

Maldivian bloggers are also pretty outspoken. I rather like this one.
http://abdullahwaheedsblog.blogspot.com

Also, something I find unique in a Muslim country, the members of the government actually seem to have a sense of humour or at least of ironic self-publicity.
Members of the Maldives' Cabinet donned scuba gear and used hand signals Saturday at an underwater meeting staged to highlight the threat of global warming to the lowest-lying nation on Earth.
President Mohammed Nasheed and 13 other government officials submerged and took their seats at a table on the sea floor — 20 feet below the surface of a lagoon off Girifushi, an island usually used for military training.
Can’t imagine the King of Saudi Arabia doing that. Now, this brings me to the main point. The Maldivian President has become an outspoken advocate of reductions of carbon emissions as he fears his low-lying nation will be submerged by the middle of the century.
Here in the Maldives, it's easy to see why the math of the current climate change debate just doesn't add up -- and why negotiators are going to have to work a lot harder before the Copenhagen climate conference if they're interested in the survival of much of the planet.

No-one in the Maldives is applauding the recent pledge of the G-8 nations to try and hold temperature increases to 2 degrees and the atmospheric concentration of CO2 to 450 parts per million. A few years ago, those might have been laudable goals, but new science makes clear they're out of date.

We need emergency action all around the world to curb emissions. It won't be easy -- to get back to 350 (part of CO2per million) the world needs to wean itself off coal before 2030, and immediately end the deforestation pouring carbon in the atmosphere. Few politicians really want to tackle something that hard, but it's not impossible. The Maldives has committed to becoming carbon neutral by 2020, using the wind and sun to power the entire nation. If that can happen in a relatively poor, developing country, it can happen anywhere. What we lack is not technology, but political will.

The climate is near a tipping point -- when the Arctic suddenly melts and the glaciers disappear, that's a very bad sign. We need our political system to cross a tipping point, too, to move from feel-good statements to actual solutions, cutting emissions quickly enough to meet the demands of science. But politicians are reluctant to act unless the people act first. The events in New York and on October 24th provide ordinary people with the opportunity to make their voices heard and, in doing so, remind politicians who is ultimately in charge. »
Who is ultimately in charge ? And who exactly is this who President Nasheed ? You are saying the people are in charge and NOT Allah. But how can a Muslim place the responsibility for climate change and rising sea levels on mere human shoulders? The Koran is quite explicit that Allah is in charge.
24:43 Art thou not aware that it is God who causes the clouds to move onward, then joins them together, then piles them up in masses, until thou can see rain come forth from their midst? And He it is who sends down from the skies, by degrees, mountainous masses [of clouds] charged with hail, striking therewith whomever He wills and averting it from whomever He wills, [the while] the flash of His lightning well-nigh deprives [men of their] sight!
Do Maldivians see the contradiction between their official discourses and their official religion, Islam ?
Last edited by Bob on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

paarsurrey

Peaceful spread of Islam in Maldives

Post by paarsurrey »

Hi friends

Islam is a peaceful religion. There is no teaching of terrorism in Islam/Quran/Muhammad. The recent phenomenon is only a political exception; it has no support from Islam/Quran/Muhammad. Those who do such acts are themselves responsible for those acts and are liable to be tried humanly as per the law of the land with justice.

Islam spread peacefully in Maldives; one can observe it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_Maldives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Islam is the state religion of Maldives, and adherence to it is legally required of citizens by a revision of the constitution in 2008: Article 9, Section D states that a non-Muslim may not become a citizen of the Maldives. With the exception of Shi’a members of the Indian trading community, Maldivians are Sunni Muslims.
Islam was introduced in 1153 by travellers. The king converted to Islam and told his subjects to do the same; the country had been Buddhist for hundreds of years prior to that.

Inaugurhttp://www.presidencymaldives.gov.mv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…OR%20iSLAM.pdfal Address delivered by HIS EXCELLENCY MR. MAUMOON ABDUL GAYOOM, the then President of the Republic of Maldives at the Opening Ceremony of the Seminar on “THE CALL FOR ISLAM IN SOUTH AND SOUTH EAST ASIA”
Male’, Republic of Maldives
10-12 January 1983

Why the Maldives is hosting a seminar on “the Call for Islam” is self-evident in the fact that the Maldives itself is a living example of a nation converted to Islam through a peaceful process based on the Quranic injunction that the call to the path of Allah shall be by way of good counsel and persuasion.

We also feel that this aspect of the spread of Islam in South and South East Asia has not been adequately studied. We realize too that in order that the Muslim peoples and communities of the region may protect their national, political and social rights, it is most important that the problems that face these peoples and communities are fully and clearly understood.

However, as the distinguished delegates will have taken note, this seminar has no political motivations. It is a purely scholarly exercise the purpose of which is to better comprehend the historical and social factors involved in the speedy spread of Islam in the region and review the role the call for Islam can play in strengthening the bonds of Islamic brotherhood between the Muslim communities of the region. I would like to put on record here that the Government of the Republic of Maldives which enjoys excellent relations of friendship with all the countries of South and South East Asia, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, acknowledges the concern of all governments of the region in protecting the rights of Muslim minorities in their respective countries.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim;bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/sects/religions Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists and working for their unity and brotherhood.

http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeezevee

Re: The Maldives, climate change and Islam

Post by yeezevee »

paarsurrey
Islam is a peaceful religion. There is no teaching of terrorism in Islam/Quran/Muhammad. The recent phenomenon is only a political exception; it has no support from Islam/Quran/Muhammad. Those who do such acts are themselves responsible for those acts and are liable to be tried humanly as per the law of the land with justice.

Islam spread peacefully in Maldives; one can observe it:
dear paarsurrey, as usual you are silly and at your best., I know you are a good person and a very good Muslim and I know Ahamadi Muslims(NOT ALL) do not take things personally when some one criticizes their religious belief and that is good sign for any religion to make it progressive.

But I am sorry to tell you that you have NOT read anything about the history of Islam and history of Maldives.

Please read this link http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum2/view ... 9f8d54e1d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from onl FFI forum that says "Countries and Culture Before and After ISLAM: Maldives"

I will add more on tto that subject in this thread..

with best wishes
yeezevee

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hello paarsurry,

Would you care to answer the point I was trying to make about climate change and Islam (BTW, this is not a question about the causes of climate change)? President Nasheed is clearly placing responsibility for climate change and rising sea levels on human action, namely deforestation and carbon emissions. In the Koran however (see my quotes) it is made quite explicit that Allah has control over the elements and not humans. So how can a Muslim turn all this on its head and blame humans for climatic phenomena which fall exclusively within the power of Allah? If Allah doesn't want a 100% Muslim nation like the Maldives to be submerged by the Indian Ocean then all He has to do is stop the icecaps from melting. If the Maldives do disappear under the waves then surely for a Muslim that would be due to Allah's will and not to human activity?

paarsurrey

Post by paarsurrey »

Bob wrote:Allah has control over the elements and not humans.
Hi friend Bob

Please quote the text of the verse from Quran along with the usual short context of five preceding and five following verses to establish correctness of you understanding of Quran.

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

Thanks
I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim;bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/sects/religions Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists and working for their unity and brotherhood.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hello paarsurry,

OK. Here they are.
Men whom neither merchandise nor sale beguileth from remembrance of Allah and constancy in prayer and paying to the poor their due; who fear a day when hearts and eyeballs will be overturned;
024:038
URL That Allah may reward them with the best of what they did, and increase reward for them of His bounty. Allah giveth blessings without stint to whom He will.
024:039
URL As for those who disbelieve, their deeds are as a mirage in a desert. The thirsty one supposeth it to be water till he cometh unto it and findeth it naught, and findeth, in the place thereof, Allah Who payeth him his due; and Allah is swift at reckoning.
024:040
URL Or as darkness on a vast, abysmal sea. There covereth him a wave, above which is a wave, above which is a cloud. Layer upon layer of darkness. When he holdeth out his hand he scarce can see it. And he for whom Allah hath not appointed light, for him there is no light.
024:041
URL Hast thou not seen that Allah, He it is Whom all who are in the heavens and the earth praise, and the birds in their flight? Of each He knoweth verily the worship and the praise; and Allah is Aware of what they do.
024:042
URL And unto Allah belongeth the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth, and unto Allah is the journeying.
024:043
URL Hast thou not seen how Allah wafteth the clouds, then gathereth them, then maketh them layers, and thou seest the rain come forth from between them; He sendeth down from the heaven mountains wherein is hail, and smiteth therewith whom He will, and averteth it from whom He will. The flashing of His lightning all but snatcheth away the sight.
024:044
URL Allah causeth the revolution of the day and the night. Lo! herein is indeed a lesson for those who see.
024:045
URL Allah hath created every animal of water. Of them is (a kind) that goeth upon its belly and (a kind) that goeth upon two legs and (a kind) that goeth upon four. Allah createth what He will. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.
024:046
URL Verily We have sent down revelations and explained them. Allah guideth whom He will unto a straight path.
024:047
URL And they say: We believe in Allah and the messenger, and we obey; then after that a faction of them turn away. Such are not believers.
024:048
URL And when they appeal unto Allah and His messenger to judge between them, lo! a faction of them are averse;
Now can you answer my questions please?

ONE : How, from an Islamic perspective, can the problem of climate change and rising sea levels be due to and ultimately resolved by purely human acts? Muslim President Nasheed is clearly of the opinion that if his island nation is not to be submerged then humans must act now. From an Islamic perspective is he right or wrong?

TWO : If the Muslim Maldives, the world's lowest lying nation, were engulfed by the Indian Ocean how is it possible for a Muslim to believe that this is NOT an expression of Allah's will?

Thank you for your answers.

paarsurrey

Post by paarsurrey »

Hi friend bob

I don’t get your point.

I don’t see any contradiction there. Quran mentions of a natural system created by Him at work of water, clouds and rain. It is set by the Creator- God Allah YHWH, as it is. If humans disturb it due to their own wrongs; and later they realize that they made a mistake and try to rectify it; there is no harm in it. Quran does not prohibit it.

Thanks

yeezevee

Post by yeezevee »

paarsurrey
I don’t see any contradiction there. Quran mentions of a natural system created by Him at work of water, clouds and rain.
yes..yes.. dear paarsurrey., Quran mentions LOTS of gibberish on Natural science. More than that Quran mentions Criminal behavior of Prophet and his followers., and if you do that ine the name of Allah., that i the worst criminal activity ant one could do dear paarsurrey.

with best regards
yeezevee

paarsurrey

Post by paarsurrey »

Hi friends

So, it is a wrong notion that Islam did not spread peacefully in the world. Spreading of Islam in Maldives is an example in this connection.

Thanks

Bob

Post by Bob »

paarsurrey wrote:Hi friend bob

I don’t get your point.

I don’t see any contradiction there. Quran mentions of a natural system created by Him at work of water, clouds and rain. It is set by the Creator- God Allah YHWH, as it is. If humans disturb it due to their own wrongs; and later they realize that they made a mistake and try to rectify it; there is no harm in it. Quran does not prohibit it.

Thanks
Can you point me to any verses in the Koran, any hadith, any tafsir etc stating that humans could actively change the earth's climate? Muslims today still interpret natural phenomena as an expression fo Allah's will. They are ayat.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

paarsurrey wrote:Hi friends

So, it is a wrong notion that Islam did not spread peacefully in the world. Spreading of Islam in Maldives is an example in this connection.

What a load of stupidity! Spreading of Islam in Maldives is not a proof that Islam spread peacefully in the world. Such examples are exceptions. Mohammed himself spread Islam by force, by demolishing other people's gods in Kabba. Lying about Islam is blasphamy.

One more thing! Stop loving Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran!! They do not need a Muslim's love.

Centaur

Post by Centaur »

islam spread violently and forcefully in 90 percent of the now islamic world.A few exceptions are indonesia and may be malaysia and some islands in that region, where islam spread thru trade.

Now it's migration jihad and womb jihad because a large scale violent jihad is no longer possible atleast for now.
Click to win $50,0000 :rock:

only 2% of KKK are radical, the rest are peaceful law abiding moderates
Islamic Football Team: Striker:Extremist; Defender: Moderate One; Goallie :Leftist

paarsurrey

Re:Peaceful Spread of Islam in the World

Post by paarsurrey »

Centaur wrote:islam spread violently and forcefully in 90 percent of the now islamic world.A few exceptions are indonesia and may be malaysia and some islands in that region, where islam spread thru trade.

Now it's migration jihad and womb jihad because a large scale violent jihad is no longer possible atleast for now.
Hi friends

I sometimes wonder as to how the wrong notions stretch even to the minds of my intelligent Atheists Agnostic friends and they side with the opponents of Islam unjustifiably. Islam spread very peacefully since its inception in the world. Just see following lines and correct your notions to prove that you people rightly believe in the freedom of thought freedom of action and the spirit of discovery:

The Spread of Islam started shortly after the death of the Islamic prophet Muhammad in 632. Trade networks connected many regions which helped the spread of Islam. During his lifetime, the community of Muslims, the ummah, was established in the Arabian Peninsula by means of conversion to Islam.

The activities of this quasi-political early ummah resulted in the spread of Islam as far from Mecca as China and Indonesia, the latter containing the world's largest Muslim population. Today there are between 1.1 billion and 1.8 billion Muslims, making Islam the second-largest religion in the world.[1]

The activities of this quasi-political early ummah resulted in the spread of Islam as far from Mecca as China and Indonesia, the latter containing the world's largest Muslim population. Today there are between 1.1 billion and 1.8 billion Muslims, making Islam the second-largest religion in the world.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of_Islam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please don't side with the Christians, Jews and the Hindus, just for convenience and politics.

Thanks

Centaur

Post by Centaur »

spammer we dont give a damn about wikipedia thats edited and maintained by mohammedan cyber jihadis for the paedophile.

634-644 The Caliphate of Umar ibn al-Khattab, who is regarded as particularly brutal.

635 Muslim Crusaders besiege and conquer of Damascus.

636 Muslim Crusaders defeat Byzantines decisively at Battle of Yarmuk.

637 Muslim Crusaders conquer Iraq at the Battle of al-Qadisiyyah (some date it in 635 or 636).

638 Muslim Crusaders conquer and annex Jerusalem, taking it from the Byzantines.

638-650 Muslim Crusaders conquer Iran, except along Caspian Sea.

639-642 Muslim Crusaders conquer Egypt.

641 Muslim Crusaders control Syria and Palestine.

643-707 Muslim Crusaders conquer North Africa.

644 Caliph Umar is assassinated by a Persian prisoner of war; Uthman ibn Affan is elected third Caliph, who is regarded by many Muslims as gentler than Umar.

644-650 Muslim Crusaders conquer Cyprus, Tripoli in North Africa, and establish Islamic rule in Iran, Afghanistan, and Sind.

656 Caliph Uthman is assassinated by disgruntled Muslim soldiers; Ali ibn Abi Talib, son-in-law and cousin to Muhammad, who married the prophet’s daughter Fatima through his first wife Khadija, is set up as Caliph.

656 Battle of the Camel, in which Aisha, Muhammad’s wife, leads a rebellion against Ali for not avenging Uthman’s assassination. Ali’s partisans win.

657 Battle of Siffin between Ali and Muslim governor of Jerusalem, arbitration goes against Ali

661 Murder of Ali by an extremist; Ali’s supporters acclaim his son Hasan as next Caliph, but he comes to an agreement with Muawiyyah I and retires to Medina.

661-680 the Caliphate of Muawiyyah I. He founds Umayyid dynasty and moves capital from Medina to Damascus

673-678 Arabs besiege Constantinople, capital of Byzantine Empire

680 Massacre of Hussein (Muhammad’s grandson), his family, and his supporters in Karbala, Iraq.

691 Dome of the Rock is completed in Jerusalem, only six decades after Muhammad’s death.

705 Abd al-Malik restores Umayyad rule.

710-713 Muslim Crusaders conquer the lower Indus Valley.

711-713 Muslim Crusaders conquer Spain and impose the kingdom of Andalus. This article recounts how Muslims today still grieve over their expulsion 700 years later. They seem to believe that the land belonged to them in the first place.

719 Cordova, Spain, becomes seat of Arab governorship.

732 The Muslim Crusaders are stopped at the Battle of Poitiers; that is, Franks (France) halt Arab advance.

749 The Abbasids conquer Kufah and overthrow Umayyids.

756 Foundation of Umayyid emirate in Cordova, Spain, setting up an independent kingdom from Abbasids.

762 Foundation of Baghdad

785 Foundation of the Great Mosque of Cordova

789 Rise of Idrisid emirs (Muslim Crusaders) in Morocco; foundation of Fez; Christoforos, a Muslim who converted to Christianity, is executed.

800 Autonomous Aghlabid dynasty (Muslim Crusaders) in Tunisia.

807 Caliph Harun al-Rashid orders the destruction of non-Muslim prayer houses and of the Church of Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem.

809 Aghlabids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Sardinia, Italy.

813 Christians in Palestine are attacked; many flee the country.

831 Muslim Crusaders capture of Palermo, Italy; raids in Southern Italy.

850 Caliph al-Matawakkil orders the destruction of non-Muslim houses of prayer.

855 Revolt of the Christians of Hims (Syria)

837-901 Aghlabids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Sicily, raid Corsica, Italy, France.

869-883 Revolt of black slaves in Iraq

909 Rise of the Fatimid Caliphate in Tunisia; these Muslim Crusaders occupy Sicily, Sardinia.

928-969 Byzantine military revival, they retake old territories, such as Cyprus (964) and Tarsus (969).

937 The Ikhshid, a particularly harsh Muslim ruler, writes to Emperor Romanus, boasting of his control over the holy places.

937 The Church of the Resurrection (known as Church of Holy Sepulcher in Latin West) is burned down by Muslims; more churches in Jerusalem are attacked .

960 Conversion of Qarakhanid Turks to Islam

966 Anti-Christian riots in Jerusalem

969 Fatimids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Egypt and found Cairo.

c. 970 Seljuks enter conquered Islamic territories from the East.

973 Israel and southern Syria are again conquered by the Fatimids.

1003 First persecutions by al-Hakim; the Church of St. Mark in Fustat, Egypt, is destroyed.

1009 Destruction of the Church of the Resurrection by al-Hakim (see 937)

1012 Beginning of al-Hakim’s oppressive decrees against Jews and Christians

1015 Earthquake in Palestine; the dome of the Dome of the Rock collapses.

1031 Collapse of Umayyid Caliphate and establishment of 15 minor independent dynasties throughout Muslim Andalus

1048 Reconstruction of the Church of the Resurrection completed

1050 Creation of Almoravid (Muslim Crusaders) movement in Mauretania; Almoravids (also known as Murabitun) are coalition of western Saharan Berbers; followers of Islam, focusing on the Quran, the hadith, and Maliki law.

1055 Seljuk Prince Tughrul enters Baghdad, consolidation of the Seljuk Sultanate.

1055 Confiscation of property of Church of the Resurrection

1071 Battle of Manzikert, Seljuk Turks (Muslim Crusaders) defeat Byzantines and occupy much of Anatolia.

1071 Turks (Muslim Crusaders) invade Palestine.

1073 Conquest of Jerusalem by Turks (Muslim Crusaders)

1075 Seljuks (Muslim Crusaders) capture Nicea (Iznik) and make it their capital in Anatolia.

1076 Almoravids (Muslim Crusaders) (see 1050) conquer western Ghana.

1085 Toledo is taken back by Christian armies.

1086 Almoravids (Muslim Crusaders) (see 1050) send help to Andalus, Battle of Zallaca.

1090-1091 Almoravids (Muslim Crusaders) occupy all of Andalus except Saragossa and Balearic Islands.

1094 Byzantine Emperor Alexius Comnenus I asks western Christendom for help against Seljuk invasions of his territory; Seljuks are Muslim Turkish family of eastern origins; see 970.

1095 Pope Urban II preaches first Crusade; they capture Jerusalem in 1099

Islamic Football Team: Striker:Extremist; Defender: Moderate One; Goallie :Leftist

Centaur

Post by Centaur »

paarsurrey

Post by paarsurrey »

Centaur wrote:we dont give a damn about wikipedia thats edited and maintained by mohammedan cyber jihadis
Hi friend Centaur

I don't agree with you. It is used as a reference resource on the internet all over the world. It is very popular:

Wikipedia (pronounced /ˌwɪkɨˈpiːdi.ə/ WIK-i-PEE-dee-ə) is a free,[5] web-based, collaborative, multilingual encyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its name is a portmanteau of the words wiki (a technology for creating collaborative websites, from the Hawaiian word wiki, meaning "quick") and encyclopedia. Wikipedia's 13 million articles (three million in the English Wikipedia) have been written collaboratively by volunteers around the world, and almost all of its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the site.[6] It was launched in 2001 by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger[7] and is currently the largest and most popular general reference work on the Internet.[3][8][9][10]

Critics of Wikipedia accuse it of systemic bias and inconsistencies (including undue weight given to popular culture),[11] and allege that it favors consensus over credentials in its editorial process.[12] Its reliability and accuracy are also claimed to be an issue.[13] Other criticisms center on its susceptibility to vandalism and the addition of spurious or unverified information,[14] though scholarly work suggests that vandalism is generally short-lived,[15][16] and an investigation in Nature found that the material they compared came close to the level of accuracy of Encyclopædia Britannica and had a similar rate of "serious errors".[17] These claims have been disputed by Encyclopædia Britannica;[18] Nature in turn published a rebuttal to Britannica's objections.[19]

Wikipedia's departure from the expert-driven style of the encyclopedia building mode and the large presence of unacademic contents have been noted several times. When Time magazine recognized You as its Person of the Year for 2006, acknowledging the accelerating success of online collaboration and interaction by millions of users around the world, it cited Wikipedia as one of several examples of Web 2.0 services, along with YouTube, MySpace, and Facebook.[20] Some noted the importance of Wikipedia not only as an encyclopedic reference but also as a frequently updated news resource because of how quickly articles about recent events appear.[21][22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

paarsurrey

Post by paarsurrey »

Hi friends

Islam spread peacefully in the world not only in Maldives but in other parts of the world, for instance in Burma or Myanmar:

Islam in Burma or Myanmar

Burma or Myanmar, is the largest country in the mainland Southeast Asia. China is on the northeast border, Bangladesh on the west, India on the northwest and the Indian Ocean on the south. Majority of the population is Theravada Buddhists but a significant number of religions e.g. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese religions, Bahá'í religion,Mahayana Buddhism, traditional animistic beliefs and the Judaism are also practiced in Burma

Early Immigrants
The first Muslims arrived in Burma’s Ayeyarwady River delta, on the Tanintharyi coast and in Rakhine in the 9th century, prior to the establishment of the first Burmese empire in 1055 AD by King Anawrahta of Bagan.[4][5][6][7][8][9] These early Muslim settlements and the propagation of Islam were documented by Arab, Persian, European and Chinese travelers of the 9th century.[4][10] Burmese Muslims are the descendants of Muslim peoples who settled and intermarried with the local Burmese ethnic groups.[11][12] Muslims arrived in Burma as traders or settlers,[13] military personnel,[14] and prisoners of war,[14] refugees,[4] and as victims of slavery.[15] However, many early Muslims also held positions of status as royal advisers, royal administrators, port authorities, mayors, and traditional medicine men.[16]

Muslim diaspora
The population of the Muslims increased during the British rule of Burma because of new waves of Indian Muslim Immigration.[33] This sharply declined in the years following 1941 as a result of the Indo-Burman Immigration agreement,[34] and was officially stopped following Burma's (Myanmar) independence on 4 January 1948.
Muslims arrived in Burma as travelers, adventurers, pioneers, sailors, traders,[35] Military Personals (voluntary and mercenary)[36], and a number of them as prisoners of wars.[37] Some were reported to have taken refuge from wars, Monsoon storms and weather, shipwreck [38] and for a number of other circumstances. Some are victims of forced slavery [39] but many of them are professionals and skilled personals such as advisors to the kings and at various ranks of administration whilst others are port-authorities and mayors and traditional medicine men.[40]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Myanmar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

BurgeoningKnowledge

Post by BurgeoningKnowledge »

Bob wrote:Hello paarsurry,

Would you care to answer the point I was trying to make about climate change and Islam (BTW, this is not a question about the causes of climate change)? President Nasheed is clearly placing responsibility for climate change and rising sea levels on human action, namely deforestation and carbon emissions. In the Koran however (see my quotes) it is made quite explicit that Allah has control over the elements and not humans. So how can a Muslim turn all this on its head and blame humans for climatic phenomena which fall exclusively within the power of Allah? If Allah doesn't want a 100% Muslim nation like the Maldives to be submerged by the Indian Ocean then all He has to do is stop the icecaps from melting. If the Maldives do disappear under the waves then surely for a Muslim that would be due to Allah's will and not to human activity?
The question of predetermination and free will is an intriguing question. In my personal opinion, Islam provides the best answer that i have come across yet, although I have still much to learn. In Islam, mankind does not have free will, but free CHOICE (there is a difference). Having said that, the all-knowing God knows what choice we are going to make, and has the power to affect everything if he wills. Now coming to your question. Who has caused pollution, global warming, etc. This is what the Quran has to say:
YUSUFALI: And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills.
YUSUFALI: Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because on the things your hands have wrought, and for many (of them) He grants forgiveness.

YUSUFALI: If some good befalls them, they say, "This is from Allah"; but if evil, they say, "This is from thee" (O Prophet). Say: "All things are from Allah." But what hath come to these people, that they fail to understand a single fact?
YUSUFALI: Whatever good, (O man!) happens to thee, is from Allah; but whatever evil happens to thee, is from thy (own) soul. and We have sent thee as a messenger to (instruct) mankind. And enough is Allah for a witness.

BurgeoningKnowledge

Post by BurgeoningKnowledge »

Bob? you there?

Cassie

Post by Cassie »

There is no difference between free will and free choice. It's just sophistry. The dilemma persists - Did or did not Allah know before a human is born what choices he/she will make? As long as the answer is yes, then why would Allah create people so that he would punish them for the choices that he had permitted? The paradox still exists.