Help from the Ahadith

Shari'a, errancies, miracles and science
MesMorial

Help from the Ahadith

Post by MesMorial »

A rough sample squiz at what teachings the "mutawatir ahadith" have to offer the religion of Islam.

http://replay.web.archive.org/200806232 ... ENG&Type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I analysed the first 40 (plus 10 others due to clicking the "next" button"). The numbers do not necessarily correspond, but I covered up to (43) with regards to the consecutive (listed) ones.

1) Do not attribute lies to the Prophet (SAW).

Qur’anic

2) Signs of the End Times: When the female-slave will give birth to her master, when the naked, barefooted would become the chiefs of the people; these are some of the signs of (Doom). (Moreover) when the shepherds of the black (camels) would exalt themselves in buildings, this is one of the signs of (Doom). (Doom) is one of the five (happenings wrapped in the unseen) which no one knows but Allah.

Conjecture (irrelevant and false according to Qur'an). This hadith also claims that Gabriel appeared to Muhammad (SAW) in disguise and quizzed him on what faith and Islam was. It also claims that Muhammad (SAW) said that Gabriel came down to teach people their religion, but that was not the role of angels (rather the Prophet (SAW)).

3) Paying the minimum amount of Zakat and observing all other “pillars” of Islam will make one successful.

Giving charity from one’s wealth is emphasised in Islam, and Allah (SWT) (through Muhammad (SAW)) tells us to give what we can afford. A minimum state obligation of 2.5% was determined in previous days, but it would be advisable to give surplus from the remainder to charity (to fulfil the Qur’anic injunction).

4) (Muslim 29) We should fight against those who do not declare that there is no God but Allah. The hadith seems to talk about fighting rich people who “sever prayer from zakah”, but “fighting” them would only be justified if they do not pay the minimum state requirement.

5) (Muslim 33) We must fight against those who do no declare that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger.

The shahada does not live up to the Qur’anic example, and at best this can be a contextual hadith. This is a demonstration of why ahadith are not law.

6) Avoiding adding to or decreasing from the basic pillars of Islam will find Paradise.

A repeated hadith, but Messengers knew nothing of their own fates (21:28) let-alone anyone else’s.

7) Islam consists of 5 basic pillars. The shahada is “there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger”.

The shahada does not need any name except Allah’s (SWT). See my article “the Five Pillars of the Qur’an Alone”. Declaring that Muhammad (SAW) is His Messenger is okay, but it has nothing to do with monotheism. The hypocrites declare that he is the Messenger (63:1).

8) Prohibited to use round gourd, wine jars, wooden pots or skins for wine.

Wine is never advisable, though it is unclear why this contextual decision should be applied on a prescriptive level these days.

9) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) observed: He who says: There is no god but Allah, He is One and there is no associate with Him, that Muhammad is His servant and His messenger, that Christ is His servant and the son of His female-slave and he (Christ) is His word which He communicated to Mary and is a spirit from Him, that Paradise is a fact and Hell is a fact, Allah would make him enter Paradise through anyone of its eight doors which he would like.”

An indication that the shahada is to be directed as an intention to Islam as a whole, not simply to Muhammad (SAW) as Messenger. The knowledge given in the only hadith that Muhammad (SAW) followed did not mention 8 doors of Heaven.

10) Believers have a right over Allah (SWT) in that if they worship Him as One God He has no right to put them in Hell.

According to the Qur’an, Allah (SWT) enjoined mercy on Himself to believers. However He also punishes whom He wills.

11) Declaring that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger immunises one from Hell, but Muhammad (SAW) did not want people to depend on this alone.

Quite right.

12) Muhammad (SAW) purified someone’s house as a place of worship by praying there. Whoever testifies that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger is immune from Hell (even if he is a hypocrite).

I was of the impression that purification came from one’s own intentions and efforts (2:222). Are we to consider evil spirits and hauntings in places?

13) “The Prophet (may peace be upon him) said: Iman (Faith) has over seventy branches, and prudency is a branch of Iman.”

“Seventy” may mean “many”. Prudency is a branch because one should not waste resources which can be put to good use. One should seek the “just mean” (25:67).

14) “A man asked Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) which (of the merits) is superior in Islam? He (the Holy Prophet) remarked: That you provide food and extend greetings to one whom you know and whom you do not know.”

Indeed it is a major part of Islam.

15) “A person asked Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) who among Muslims was better. Upon this (the Holy Prophet) remarked: One from whose hand and tongue Muslims are safe.”

This applies to those among humanity (60:8).

16) “Allah's Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) said: There are three qualities, whoever is characterized by them will relish the sweetness of faith: One to whom Allah and His Messenger are dearer than all else; one who loves a man only for Allah's sake; and one who abhors returning to infidelity after Allah has rescued him from it as he abhors being cast into Hell.”

A nice example (33:29). “Allah and His Messenger” is presented as Islam (the Message of Allah (SWT) through the Messenger whom He chose).

17) “The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: No servant (and in the Hadith narrated by 'Abdul-Warith, no person) is a truthful believer, till I become dearer to him than the members of his household, his wealth and the whole of mankind.”

Dearer as the Messenger (the source of the Message) and not as an object of devotion and imitation (e.g. do we love his fingernails?). We love the qualities he displayed as described to us by the Qur’an. This is represented by declaring (SAW) after his name.

18) “The Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: None among you will be a truthful believer till he likes for his brother or for his neighbour that which he loves for himself.”

Good.

19) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) observed: He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silent; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbor with kindness; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.”

Good. If the guest becomes hostile without reason then of course one has a right to disassociate themselves!

20) “Tariq bin Shihab reported: It was Marwan who initiated (the practice) of delivering sermon before the Prayer on the 'Id Day. A man stood up and said: the Prayer should precede the sermon. He remarked: This (practice) has been done away with. Upon this Abu Sa'id remarked: This man has performed the duty prescribed on him. I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say: Whoever, among you, sees something abominable should rectify it with his hand; and if he has not strength enough to do it, then he should do it with his tongue; and if he has not strength enough to do it, (even) then he should (abhor it) from his heart, and that is the least of Faith.”

A sermon is a sermon, and it might help prayer having heard inspirational words beforehand. Nice example from the hadith.

21) “The Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) pointed towards Yemen with his hand and said: Verily Iman (Faith) is towards this side, and harshness and callousness of the hearts is found among the rude owners of the camels who drive them behind their tails (to the direction) where emerge the two horns of Satan, they are the tribes of Rabi'ah and Mudar.”

Nice metaphor for the situation. Could be a generalisation and Muslims are discouraged from making generalisations (4:94, 60:8). People have their way. (17:84). 5:57 shows that there are exceptions in nations.

22) “The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed: There have come the people of Yemen; they are tender-hearted, the belief is that of the Yemenites, the understanding (of the faith) is that of the Yemenites and sagacity is that of the Yemenites.”

Okay. See above.

23) “I gave pledge of allegiance to Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) on the observance of the Prayer, payment of Zakah, and sincerity and well-wishing for every Muslim.”

Good. We can be kind to non-Muslims too (60:8).

24) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) observed: Whoever fornicates is not a believer so long as he commits it and no thief who steals is a believer as long as he commits theft, and no drunkard who drinks wine is a believer as long as he drinks it.”

Qur’anically sound. It sounds tautological.

25) “The Prophet observed: Four characteristics make anyone, who possesses them, a sheer hypocrite; anyone who possesses one of them possesses a characteristic of hypocrisy till he abandons it: when he talks he lies, when he makes a covenant he acts treacherously, when he gives a promise he breaks it, and when he quarrels he deviates from the truth.”

That is true.

26) “Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) said: Three are the signs of a hypocrite: when he speaks he tells a lie, when he makes a promise he acts treacherously, and when he is trusted he betrays.”

An example of memory causing inconsistencies in unpreserved explanations.

27) “The Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: When a man calls his brother unbeliever, it returns (at least) to one of them.”

Interesting. If it were true, it could not return since it was already there.

28) “Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) said: Whoever claims knowingly anyone else as his father besides (his own) commits nothing but infidelity, and he who makes a claim of anything, which (in fact) does not belong to him, is not among us; he should make his abode in Fire. And he who labels anyone with unbelief or calls him the enemy of Allah, while he is in fact not so, it rebounded on him.”

Lying is bad.

29) “Allah's Messenger (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: Do not detest your fathers; he who detests his father commits infidelity.”

Are there exceptions?

30) “The Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) asked me on the occasion of the Farewell Pilgrimage to make the people silent and then said: Do not return to disbelief after me by striking the necks of one another.”

Good.

31) Do not kill people who declare that there is no God but Allah. We cannot tell if they mean it or not, so we assume they do.

Good.

32) A Muslim who killed a fleeing polytheist would go to Hell. The Muslim was injured, could not stand the pain and killed himself, so he would go to Paradise.

Hmmm. Maybe he repented, but Muhammad (SAW) could not know that.

33) “I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say: He who died in defence of his property is a martyr.”

Of course.

34) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: By Him in Whose hand is my life, the Son of Mary (may peace be upon him) will soon descend among you as a just judge. He will break crosses, kill swine and abolish Jizyah, and the wealth will pour forth to such an extent that no one will accept it.”

Really? Okay (irrelevant to faith).

35) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The (Last) Hour will not come till the sun rises from the place of its setting. And on the day when it rises from the place of its setting even if all the people together affirmed their faith, Do they then wait for anything other than that the angels should come to them, or that your Lord should come, or that some of the Signs of your Lord should come (i.e. portents of the Hour eg, arising of the sun from the west)! The day that some of the Signs of your Lord do come, no good will it do to a person to believe then, if he believed not before, nor earned good (by performing deeds of righteousness) through his Faith Say: "Wait you! we (too) are waiting" ”

Okay. Relates again to the unseen and is irrelevant to faith.

36) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) one day asked: Do you know where the sun goes? They replied: Allah and His Messenger know best, He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Verily it (the sun) glides till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it falls prostrate and remains there until it is asked: Rise up and go to the place whence you came, and it goes back and continues emerging out from its rising place and then glides till it reaches its place of rest under the Throne and falls prostrate and remains in that state until it is asked: Rise up and return to the place whence you came, and it returns and emerges out from its rising place and then it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything (unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it would be said to it: Rise up and emerge out from the place of your setting, and it will rise from the place of its setting. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) asked: Do you know when it would happen? It would happen at the time when no good will it do to a person to believe then, if he believed not before, nor earned good (by performing deeds of righteousness) through his Faith .”

Hmmm

37) In Sahih Muslim 234, Muhammad (SAW) rides a creature bigger than a donkey but smaller than a mule “who would place his hoof at a distance equal to the range of vision”. He goes to Jerusalem, gets a ride from Gabriel up to Heaven and barters with Allah (SWT) over how many prayers is best (50 per day being the initial commandment). This “mutawatir” hadith contradicts the Qur’anic ayah where Allah (SWT) declares that he does not wish to place a burden on believers (e.g. 5:6).

Hadith Muslim 238 offers the same story.

38) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), while narrating his Night Journey observed: Moses (peace be upon him) was a man of high stature as if he was of the people of the Shanu'ah (tribe), and Jesus was a well-built person having curly hair. He also mentioned Malik, the Guardian of Hell, and Al-Dajjal (Antichrist).”

Okay. Irrelevant to faith. Hadith Muslim 245 says that Jesus had a medium stature (contradiction there) and looked reddish as if he had just had a bath. The fate of the “ummah” was to be misled if Muhammad (SAW) chose to drink wine instead of milk.

39) Sahih Muslim 267 is a very elaborate description of lining up for Paradise. Apparently people who worship other things will follow what they worship and fly away. Allah will play mind games and laugh at the last to enter Paradise. Some hypocrites will be rescued from the fire because of the prostration marks on their forehead. It is interesting but all very irrelevant.

40) Sahih Muslim 269 says that intercession will be allowed (e.g. believers can take out of the fire those whom they recognise). This is against the Qur’an. Some people who never did any good in their lives will be taken out so that believers can look at them in Paradise.

41) “Verily Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: There is for every Messenger a (special) supplication with which he would pray. I wish I could reserve my supplication for intercession of my Ummah on the Day of Resurrection.”

Really? Muhammad (SAW) only followed what was revealed to him (6:50). Proof must be presented of other Revelation (2:23, 28:49). According to the previous ahadith, Messengers would get intercession anyway (contradiction).

42) “Verily the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: There is for every Messenger an invocation with which he prays (to Allah) for his Ummah. I have reserved my invocation for the intercession of my Ummah on the Day of Resurrection.”

Another example of memory faults. The Messenger was only a warner, and his warning was the Qur’an (6:50-51). He will also be a bearer of witness on the day of judgement (25:30), but nothing else.

43) “The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Seventy thousand (persons) of my Ummah would enter Paradise without rendering an account. Upon this a person said: Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah that He makes me one of them. He (the Holy Prophet) said: O Allah! make him one of them. Then, another stood up and said: Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah that He make me one of them. He (the Holy Prophet) said: 'Ukashah has preceded you in this matter.”

Everyone is credited with their own work (53:39, 6:164). This ahadith has no relevance nor is it Qur’anic.

44) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: The Prayer of none among you will be accepted if he is in a state of impurity till he performs ablution.”

If we satisfy the criteria of being impure in 5:6 then we must perform ablution. Impurity would also include obvious uncleanliness (dirt or a runny nose due to sickness etc.).

45) “He called for ablution water and this is how he performed the ablution. He washed his hands thrice. He then rinsed his mouth and cleaned his nose with water (three times). He then washed his face three times, then washed his right arm up to the elbow three times, then washed his left arm like that, then wiped his head; then washed his right foot up to the ankle three times, then washed his left foot like that, and then said: I saw Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) perform ablution like this ablution of mine. Then Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He who performs ablution like this ablution of mine and then stood up (for the Prayer) and offered two rak'ahs of the Prayer without allowing his thoughts to be distracted, all his previous sins are expiated.”

Obviously (not).

46) “Abu Anas reported that 'Uthman performed ablution at Maqa'id (a place near the mosque) and maintained: Should I not show you the ablution performed by Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him)? And he then washed (the different parts of his body) three times.”

Mutawatir scarcely by meaning. This hadith simply tells us how the Prophet (SAW) allegedly did it. The previous one is a farce when compared to the Qur’an. People will argue that 56 says that Allah (SWT) desired to purify us (e.g. free us from sins), but in that case the hadith would be in the Qur’an.

47) “It was said to him (by people): Perform for us the ablution (as it was performed) by Allah's Messenger (may peace upon him). He ('Abdullah bin Zaid) called for a vessel (of water), and poured water from it on his hands and washed them three times. Then he inserted his hand (in the vessel) and brought it out, rinsed his mouth and snuffed up water from the palm of one hand, doing that three times, then he again inserted his hand and brought it out and washed his face three times, then inserted his hand and brought it out and washed each arm up to the elbow twice, then inserted his hand and brought it out and wiped his head both front and back with his hands. He then washed his feet up to the ankles, and then said: This is how Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) performed ablution.”

Okay. An example but in accordance with 3) only the minimum specifications are required. This is because the Qur’an prescribes washing the face, arms and feet.

48) “We returned from Makkah to Medina with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and when we came to some water on the way, some of the people were in a hurry at the time of the afternoon prayer and performed ablution hurriedly; and when we reached them, their heels were dry, no water had touched them. The Prophet (may peace be upon him) said: Woe to (dry) heels from Hell-Fire. Make your ablution thorough and perfect.”

Obvious example. Allah (SWT) says to wash the feet up to the ankles.

49) “Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) had observed: You will have your faces, hands and feet bright on the Day of Resurrection because of your perfect ablution. He who can afford among you, let him increase the brightness of his forehead and that of hands and legs.”

Highly Qur’anic in that it follows the Qur’an without innovation.

50) Sahih Muslim 267 restates the fact that only the faces, arms and legs (feet) are involved in ablution. It also mentioned that people would deviate after Muhammad (SAW) died.
FEED MORE MORE - WAKE UP!
- Ryback

http://allpoetry.com/Noctifer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeezevee

Re: Help from the Ahadith

Post by yeezevee »

MesMorial wrote:A rough sample squiz at what teachings the "mutawatir ahadith" have to offer the religion of Islam.

http://replay.web.archive.org/200806232 ... ENG&Type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I analyzed the first 40 (plus 10 others due to clicking the "next" button"). The numbers do not necessarily correspond, but I covered up to (43) with regards to the consecutive (listed) ones.

That is good link on Hadith from Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Da‘wah and Guidance Center dear MesMorial., but why you only choose to analyze first 40?? why not all??

I think you should do that., I often visit that site to learn real Islam..

with best wishes
yeezevee

marduk

Re: Help from the Ahadith

Post by marduk »

I think the first 40 wacko Hadith is sufficient to get the idea. No reason to think the rest would be any less ridiculous. Not content with the stupidness of the Quran alone, the Arabs felt compelled to make their own book of stupid. Hard to say who won the "Book of Pure Stupid" contest, Muhammad or the others.