How I left Islam

Share your story.
Post Reply
konga
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 pm

How I left Islam

Post by konga »

I was born and raised in an Arabic Muslim country. At school, I studied the Quran, Ahadeeth and Islamic History for 12 years. Unlike many of those who published their testimonies about why they left Islam, we did learn about the age of Aisha when Mohammed married her, his raids, his many wives and more (which makes me feel even more stupid since I knew all this and never doubted a thing for 30 years). To me, of course Islam was the one true religion. Of course Islam was the religion of peace, that's why their raids weren't called "wars of Islam", they were called "Openings by Islam". Islam was OF COURSE respectful to woman. Sure it does not look that way now, but it's only because people now a days, unfortunately, don't practice the real Islam and those who have the power of decision, aka men, only took the parts that benefit them. I never believed that Islam would encourage child marriage, forced marriage, locking women in the house and separate them from the society. Marrying a 9 years old you say? Well..
it was a different time, different era (until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea about the medical consequences of having sex in such young age). Funny thing, we were never taught that Quran was scientific. On the contrary, were were taught that “Religion
and Science never agree with each other”. Mind you, everybody believed that both science and the Quran were right even though they contradicted each other (I'm not sure if I can explain how that is possible). There are, however, things mentioned in the Quran that I never believed them to be true, like jinn, the envious eye or magic. I remember mentioning that to my mother once and she said "but it's in the Quran!" and I just shrugged. I still didn't believe in them but thought surely God has his reasons to have them in his book, but never thought about it any more.

My beliefs did not shake when I moved to a western country at the age of 20. For years I watched the terrorists crimes on different news channels but never doubted that they were nothing more than a bunch of power hungry people who used religion to gain followers, brainwash them and trick them into doing their biddings. However, a couple of years ago I happened to stumble on some information that made me rethink my beliefs.

Shock number 1: I was googling some stuff about Islam out of curiosity about what is said about Islam in English and it eventually lead me to a wikipedia page about Islam and sex. A "hadeeth" was mentioned there that said "A man said: Apostle of Allah, I have a
slave-girl and I withdraw from her (while having intercourse), and I dislike that she becomes pregnant. I intend what the men intend by it. The Jews say that withdrawing the penis is burying the living girls on a small scale. He (the Prophet) said: The Jews told a lie. If Allah intends to create it, you cannot turn it away". This Hadeeth was mentioned to show Islam's view on family planning, but to me it had a totally different meaning. There it was, clear as the sun, it says 'a slave-girl'. This man was talking about
having sexual relations with a woman who is not his wife, and the prophet didn't even comment on this fact, he merely answered the man's question as if everything was in its order. I knew that slavery was a too wide-spread problem that not even Islam could get rid of even though Islam absolutely prohibited slavery (yeah, right!!!), but I always thought of it as slavery of working-in-the-household kind of thing, not sex slaves. Who were the stoning and the 100 lashes for then???!!!

Shock number 2: The satanic verses. I did not know whether this story was true or not, never the less, it made me think. We take all the stories we have about Adam and Eve, Gabriel the angel who talked to the prophet, the people of the cave, Isra'a w miraj (the
flight to Jerusalem over night)...etc seriously. We see these stories as historical facts that actually had happened. And we hear the stories of other religions and myths and know that they are just fantasies. Well... wouldn't an outsider listening to our stories have the same reaction to them as we have to, tex. mythes of the ancient Gods of Mount Olympus? How can we be sure that our stories are true while theirs are not? This was actually the first time I EVER considered how real Islam must sound like for non-Muslims.

After that, more questions started to surface in my head. Like: Religion is about spirituality, which is something beyond the physical, why then is God's reward and punishment nothing but physical (Hell: burn the body. Heaven: beautiful gardens and delicious food)? How about those people living in small villages who never in their lives heard about Islam, how would they know they should follow Islam? And those in the west, they grow up to parents and in societies that only see the terrorists' version of Islam (and 90% of the Muslims they meet don'tt make a much better impression). I mean, those people did not chose where they would be born or who their parents would be, God did. So how is it fair that God would sent them to burn in hell for eternity for something HE decided, specially when God knows beforehand that they will never become Muslims? Does not this mean that God created billions of people for the sole reason of throwing them into eternal hell? How is that fair? And then, one day while I was putting on my jacket to go out, it hit me: it isn't fair!!! And since this was not fair, then there are only two possible conclusions: Either God is fair, and in that case, what religion a person does or does not follow is not important. Or Mohammed's version of God IS true, which means
God is not fair, and in this case, if God wanted to throw me in hell He would do so even if I followed the teachings of Islam word by word. By the time I walked out of my apartment and closed the door behind me, I had become an atheist. I cannot describe the relief and the sense of freedom I felt at that moment. For the first time in my life I felt that I am a good person; that I am a good person because I want to be, not because I was afraid of punishment. Thinking back, I don't think I ever thought of God as someone who watches over me, guides me or takes care of me. My idea of God was someone who watches everything I do and constantly tricks me to see if I would do the right thing so that he can punish me when I didn't (we all make mistakes...). Sure I prayed to God to pass my tests or get into the college I wanted and various things, but I felt they were more like "wishes". You don't REALLY expect wishes to come true just like that, do you?

I will never forget the unbelievable freedom I felt at the very moment I realized I didn't have to follow Islam any more, but soon, fear filled me again. What if I was wrong? What if this is another test of God? What if He had decided to "seal my heart" so that I won't see his truth until it was too late? At these times, I tried to remind myself how I came to the conclusion that Islam was not a true religion. I would think: Imagine I was making an experiment to see what would happen if I created a couple of hundred intelligent creatures and gave them a set of rules dictating how they should interact with each other. If I would explain this to someone passing by, then nothing is strange. But if I added "and after a month or so, for those who didn't follow the rules I gave them, here's the blazing fire I will burn them alive in for 10 years, during which they will be in constant horrible pain", I would (or at least should!) be reported as a psychopath and admitted to a mental hospital. But isn't that exactly what Islam's God is doing?

A friend of mine once said "I am sure that Mohammed and the other prophets were great men who brought peace to their people and taught them good values, but these good values have, over time, become so imprinted in us humans that we no longer need a religion to tell us what they are, and all that is left to define a religion are the bad and absurd parts" and I agreed with him. See, at that time, I still believed that Islam was a religion of peace and the terrorists were power hungry people who twisted Islam to serve their own ambitions. But a couple of months ago came the real shock that I still haven't gotten over it yet. I came across http://www.apostatesofislam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by chance and read all the testimonials of those who left Islam and felt good that I was not the only one thinking in this direction. That website lead me then here and Ali Sina's debate with Dr Zaheer (what a joke! The man with a PHD actually believed that he talked to a "jinn"!!). I also saw some interviews with Wafa'a Sultan and they both talked about Muhammed's life and somethings there I couldn't believe they were true. So, I went to the local Mosque and bought a couple of “approved” books about the life of Mohammed and I started reading. I was mute. There is no trace of a good man there. There was nothing but a politician, and a good one at that (my idea of politics is that it's an art based on deceit and playing with words, so being divine and a good politician, in my opinion, cannot go hand in hand). He was a cowered who was not ashamed of requiring from his followers to protect him like "their woman and children". He preached things and did the opposite. He beat servants. He had no respect what so ever to any of his wives. He even BOUGHT people's submission to Islam. What kind of a prophet BUYS people's beliefs? I was (and still) outraged. How could I not see that before? How could I have followed the teachings of a criminal for 30 years of my life? And why? Why didn't anyone see that before? Shouldn't parents check what they are teaching their children? I started reading the Quran but haven't come that far yet but it doesn't really matter. If the messenger is not trustworthy then his message is not trustworthy either when he is the sole claimer of it.

Ironically, growing up, we were always reminded of a hadeeth that Muhammad had supposedly said, which is "practice from the religion what appears of it, because if you dig into it, you will find things you wouldn't like". I never thought, in a million years, that THIS might be what he had in mind when he said that Hadeeth.

User avatar
Ibn Rushd
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

Re: How I left Islam

Post by Ibn Rushd »

Fantastic biography! I went through troubles similar to yours. Although I only spent 2 months as a full believer, and then another 2 years questioning it. This is me.
There is no Master but the Master, and QT-1 is his Prophet.

Asimov's robot story "Reason"

survivor
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 am

Re: How I left Islam

Post by survivor »

konga wrote:Ironically, growing up, we were always reminded of a hadeeth that Muhammad had supposedly said, which is "practice from the religion what appears of it, because if you dig into it, you will find things you wouldn't like". I never thought, in a million years, that THIS might be what he had in mind when he said that Hadeeth.
A hearty welcome to our humble Club of Humanity, AKA, FFI, dear Konga. Hope, to see your enlightening posts on our site that would make many more 'converted or born to islam' people think and see the TRUTH.
Sincerely,
survivor.
The great Islam has Greater Hidden Facts. To know them all, please, make yourself familiar with the provided site link.

User avatar
Sten
Posts: 3205
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:19 am

Re: How I left Islam

Post by Sten »

Welcome Konga, you seem like an intelligent bloke. Good to have you here.
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
- Carl Sagan

ringmaster
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by ringmaster »

Ibn Rushd wrote:Fantastic biography! I went through troubles similar to yours. Although I only spent 2 months as a full believer, and then another 2 years questioning it. This is me.

I read or heard somewhere that the majority of new converts leave islam within a few years.

Can somebody refresh my memory on that one?
The prophet of Islam was nothing more than a common criminal.

Please tell me if this is accurate:

“I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken.”
~MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

tuva_kys
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:07 am

Re: How I left Islam

Post by tuva_kys »

Hi, konga!
First of all, excuse me if I say something wrong in english, cause it's not my mother language :)
I'm really happy that you've realized that Islam is so terrifying and cruel in its origin.
As for me, I got interested in it some months ago, and first of all I decided to begin reading Quran.
And 4-5 first its suras shoked me cause of their cruelty and cause they are calling all the time to kill not-muslims.
And all this terror about Hell for "kafirs", too often, every some lines, it's a real hypnosis making people brake and obey. Because noone wants to be tortured, and Quran simply terrifies people making them obey it.
It's too much hatred, like if a real psychopath had written all this.
excuse me for my poor english) It's not my mother language)

User avatar
expozIslam
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by expozIslam »

Konga,
Welcome to FFI and please continue to enrich this site with your posts. Delighted to have you with us more so because the lanuage of the Quran is your native language as well. It is going to be quite helpful.
“The truth, of course, is that a billion falsehoods told a billion times by a billion people are still false.”

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: How I left Islam

Post by SAM »

konga wrote:
Spoiler! :
I was born and raised in an Arabic Muslim country. At school, I studied the Quran, Ahadeeth and Islamic History for 12 years. Unlike many of those who published their testimonies about why they left Islam, we did learn about the age of Aisha when Mohammed married her, his raids, his many wives and more (which makes me feel even more stupid since I knew all this and never doubted a thing for 30 years). To me, of course Islam was the one true religion. Of course Islam was the religion of peace, that's why their raids weren't called "wars of Islam", they were called "Openings by Islam". Islam was OF COURSE respectful to woman. Sure it does not look that way now, but it's only because people now a days, unfortunately, don't practice the real Islam and those who have the power of decision, aka men, only took the parts that benefit them. I never believed that Islam would encourage child marriage, forced marriage, locking women in the house and separate them from the society. Marrying a 9 years old you say? Well..
it was a different time, different era (until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea about the medical consequences of having sex in such young age). Funny thing, we were never taught that Quran was scientific. On the contrary, were were taught that “Religion
and Science never agree with each other”. Mind you, everybody believed that both science and the Quran were right even though they contradicted each other (I'm not sure if I can explain how that is possible). There are, however, things mentioned in the Quran that I never believed them to be true, like jinn, the envious eye or magic. I remember mentioning that to my mother once and she said "but it's in the Quran!" and I just shrugged. I still didn't believe in them but thought surely God has his reasons to have them in his book, but never thought about it any more.

My beliefs did not shake when I moved to a western country at the age of 20. For years I watched the terrorists crimes on different news channels but never doubted that they were nothing more than a bunch of power hungry people who used religion to gain followers, brainwash them and trick them into doing their biddings. However, a couple of years ago I happened to stumble on some information that made me rethink my beliefs.

Shock number 1: I was googling some stuff about Islam out of curiosity about what is said about Islam in English and it eventually lead me to a wikipedia page about Islam and sex. A "hadeeth" was mentioned there that said "A man said: Apostle of Allah, I have a
slave-girl and I withdraw from her (while having intercourse), and I dislike that she becomes pregnant. I intend what the men intend by it. The Jews say that withdrawing the penis is burying the living girls on a small scale. He (the Prophet) said: The Jews told a lie. If Allah intends to create it, you cannot turn it away". This Hadeeth was mentioned to show Islam's view on family planning, but to me it had a totally different meaning. There it was, clear as the sun, it says 'a slave-girl'. This man was talking about
having sexual relations with a woman who is not his wife, and the prophet didn't even comment on this fact, he merely answered the man's question as if everything was in its order. I knew that slavery was a too wide-spread problem that not even Islam could get rid of even though Islam absolutely prohibited slavery (yeah, right!!!), but I always thought of it as slavery of working-in-the-household kind of thing, not sex slaves. Who were the stoning and the 100 lashes for then???!!!

Shock number 2: The satanic verses. I did not know whether this story was true or not, never the less, it made me think. We take all the stories we have about Adam and Eve, Gabriel the angel who talked to the prophet, the people of the cave, Isra'a w miraj (the
flight to Jerusalem over night)...etc seriously. We see these stories as historical facts that actually had happened. And we hear the stories of other religions and myths and know that they are just fantasies. Well... wouldn't an outsider listening to our stories have the same reaction to them as we have to, tex. mythes of the ancient Gods of Mount Olympus? How can we be sure that our stories are true while theirs are not? This was actually the first time I EVER considered how real Islam must sound like for non-Muslims.

After that, more questions started to surface in my head. Like: Religion is about spirituality, which is something beyond the physical, why then is God's reward and punishment nothing but physical (Hell: burn the body. Heaven: beautiful gardens and delicious food)? How about those people living in small villages who never in their lives heard about Islam, how would they know they should follow Islam? And those in the west, they grow up to parents and in societies that only see the terrorists' version of Islam (and 90% of the Muslims they meet don'tt make a much better impression). I mean, those people did not chose where they would be born or who their parents would be, God did. So how is it fair that God would sent them to burn in hell for eternity for something HE decided, specially when God knows beforehand that they will never become Muslims? Does not this mean that God created billions of people for the sole reason of throwing them into eternal hell? How is that fair? And then, one day while I was putting on my jacket to go out, it hit me: it isn't fair!!! And since this was not fair, then there are only two possible conclusions: Either God is fair, and in that case, what religion a person does or does not follow is not important. Or Mohammed's version of God IS true, which means
God is not fair, and in this case, if God wanted to throw me in hell He would do so even if I followed the teachings of Islam word by word. By the time I walked out of my apartment and closed the door behind me, I had become an atheist. I cannot describe the relief and the sense of freedom I felt at that moment. For the first time in my life I felt that I am a good person; that I am a good person because I want to be, not because I was afraid of punishment. Thinking back, I don't think I ever thought of God as someone who watches over me, guides me or takes care of me. My idea of God was someone who watches everything I do and constantly tricks me to see if I would do the right thing so that he can punish me when I didn't (we all make mistakes...). Sure I prayed to God to pass my tests or get into the college I wanted and various things, but I felt they were more like "wishes". You don't REALLY expect wishes to come true just like that, do you?

I will never forget the unbelievable freedom I felt at the very moment I realized I didn't have to follow Islam any more, but soon, fear filled me again. What if I was wrong? What if this is another test of God? What if He had decided to "seal my heart" so that I won't see his truth until it was too late? At these times, I tried to remind myself how I came to the conclusion that Islam was not a true religion. I would think: Imagine I was making an experiment to see what would happen if I created a couple of hundred intelligent creatures and gave them a set of rules dictating how they should interact with each other. If I would explain this to someone passing by, then nothing is strange. But if I added "and after a month or so, for those who didn't follow the rules I gave them, here's the blazing fire I will burn them alive in for 10 years, during which they will be in constant horrible pain", I would (or at least should!) be reported as a psychopath and admitted to a mental hospital. But isn't that exactly what Islam's God is doing?

A friend of mine once said "I am sure that Mohammed and the other prophets were great men who brought peace to their people and taught them good values, but these good values have, over time, become so imprinted in us humans that we no longer need a religion to tell us what they are, and all that is left to define a religion are the bad and absurd parts" and I agreed with him. See, at that time, I still believed that Islam was a religion of peace and the terrorists were power hungry people who twisted Islam to serve their own ambitions. But a couple of months ago came the real shock that I still haven't gotten over it yet. I came across http://www.apostatesofislam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by chance and read all the testimonials of those who left Islam and felt good that I was not the only one thinking in this direction. That website lead me then here and Ali Sina's debate with Dr Zaheer (what a joke! The man with a PHD actually believed that he talked to a "jinn"!!). I also saw some interviews with Wafa'a Sultan and they both talked about Muhammed's life and somethings there I couldn't believe they were true. So, I went to the local Mosque and bought a couple of “approved” books about the life of Mohammed and I started reading. I was mute. There is no trace of a good man there. There was nothing but a politician, and a good one at that (my idea of politics is that it's an art based on deceit and playing with words, so being divine and a good politician, in my opinion, cannot go hand in hand). He was a cowered who was not ashamed of requiring from his followers to protect him like "their woman and children". He preached things and did the opposite. He beat servants. He had no respect what so ever to any of his wives. He even BOUGHT people's submission to Islam. What kind of a prophet BUYS people's beliefs? I was (and still) outraged. How could I not see that before? How could I have followed the teachings of a criminal for 30 years of my life? And why? Why didn't anyone see that before? Shouldn't parents check what they are teaching their children? I started reading the Quran but haven't come that far yet but it doesn't really matter. If the messenger is not trustworthy then his message is not trustworthy either when he is the sole claimer of it.

Ironically, growing up, we were always reminded of a hadeeth that Muhammad had supposedly said, which is "practice from the religion what appears of it, because if you dig into it, you will find things you wouldn't like". I never thought, in a million years, that THIS might be what he had in mind when he said that Hadeeth.
It's the same old song.. :band: nothing new.
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

ringmaster
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by ringmaster »

SAM wrote:


It's the same old song.. :band: nothing new.

Don't you get tired of idol worshipping to that statue of a vagina 5 times a day?
The prophet of Islam was nothing more than a common criminal.

Please tell me if this is accurate:

“I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken.”
~MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: How I left Islam

Post by SAM »

ringmaster wrote:
SAM wrote:


It's the same old song.. :band: nothing new.

Don't you get tired of idol worshipping to that statue of a vagina 5 times a day?
I seldom pray ... I spent most of my time occupying non muslim girls vagina.
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

User avatar
Sten
Posts: 3205
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:19 am

Re: How I left Islam

Post by Sten »

SAM wrote:I seldom pray ... I spent most of my time occupying non muslim girls vagina.
Hey SAM, your sister is hot. I'm taking her to The Olive Drum next friday, she'll put out for sure I reckon.
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
- Carl Sagan

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: How I left Islam

Post by SAM »

Sten wrote:
SAM wrote:I seldom pray ... I spent most of my time occupying non muslim girls vagina.
Hey SAM, your sister is hot. I'm taking her to The Olive Drum next friday, she'll put out for sure I reckon.
Your're free beating around the bush with the CHICK... I'll do the same.. Be happy!
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

ringmaster
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by ringmaster »

SAM wrote:
I seldom pray ... I spent most of my time occupying non muslim girls vagina.

We already know that you are an idol worshipper.

You don't have to keep repeating yourself.
The prophet of Islam was nothing more than a common criminal.

Please tell me if this is accurate:

“I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken.”
~MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

User avatar
SAM
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Arasy

Re: How I left Islam

Post by SAM »

ringmaster wrote:
SAM wrote:
I seldom pray ... I spent most of my time occupying non muslim girls vagina.

We already know that you are an idol worshipper.

You don't have to keep repeating yourself.
:lamer:
Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion.
Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance."
(2:120)

ringmaster
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by ringmaster »

SAM wrote:
:lamer:
Nothing is as lame as your limp dick allah (code word for vagina statue) guy .

5 idol worshipping prayers a day from a billion people going bum up, and they still can’t take a tiny piece of land away from a few million Jews.


Lame. Lame. Lame.
The prophet of Islam was nothing more than a common criminal.

Please tell me if this is accurate:

“I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken.”
~MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

natural_person
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: How I left Islam

Post by natural_person »

Sam,

You dream a lot... Women everywhere, eh?

ringmaster
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How I left Islam

Post by ringmaster »

natural_person wrote:Sam,

You dream a lot... Women everywhere, eh?

Yup...in his dreams....in his dreams.

:roflmao:
The prophet of Islam was nothing more than a common criminal.

Please tell me if this is accurate:

“I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken.”
~MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

Post Reply