Question for Ex-Muslims

Share your story.
bjnboy

Question for Ex-Muslims

Post by bjnboy »

When you were still in the Islamic faith/cult, did you recognize any of these mind control techniques as set out by Robert Lifton?

Milieu Control. This involves the control of information and communication both within the environment and, ultimately, within the individual, resulting in a significant degree of isolation from society at large.

Mystical Manipulation. There is manipulation of experiences that appear spontaneous but in fact were planned and orchestrated by the group or its leaders in order to demonstrate divine authority or spiritual advancement or some special gift or talent that will then allow the leader to reinterpret events, scripture, and experiences as he or she wishes.

Demand for Purity. The world is viewed as black and white and the members are constantly exhorted to conform to the ideology of the group and strive for perfection. The induction of guilt and/or shame is a powerful control device used here.

Confession. Sins, as defined by the group, are to be confessed either to a personal monitor or publicly to the group. There is no confidentiality; members' "sins," "attitudes," and "faults" are discussed and exploited by the leaders.

Sacred Science. The group's doctrine or ideology is considered to be the ultimate Truth, beyond all questioning or dispute. Truth is not to be found outside the group. The leader, as the spokesperson for God or for all humanity, is likewise above criticism.

Loading the Language. The group interprets or uses words and phrases in new ways so that often the outside world does not understand. This jargon consists of thought-terminating clichés, which serve to alter members' thought processes to conform to the group's way of thinking.

Doctrine over person. Member's personal experiences are subordinated to the sacred science and any contrary experiences must be denied or reinterpreted to fit the ideology of the group.

Dispensing of existence. The group has the prerogative to decide who has the right to exist and who does not. This is usually not literal but means that those in the outside world are not saved, unenlightened, unconscious and they must be converted to the group's ideology. If they do not join the group or are critical of the group, then they must be rejected by the members. Thus, the outside world loses all credibility. In conjunction, should any member leave the group, he or she must be rejected also.
sword_of_truth

Re: Question for Ex-Muslims

Post by sword_of_truth »

Milieu Control. This involves the control of information and communication both within the environment and, ultimately, within the individual, resulting in a significant degree of isolation from society at large.
This is something that you can clearly see with death threats on people who criticize/insult Islam publicly. However, when I was a muslim, it was more subtle. Perhaps, in an unspoken way, questioning was discouraged, just because you knew that people put such a high value on their religion that you would expect them to be offended if you said the wrong thing.

Mystical Manipulation. There is manipulation of experiences that appear spontaneous but in fact were planned and orchestrated by the group or its leaders in order to demonstrate divine authority or spiritual advancement or some special gift or talent that will then allow the leader to reinterpret events, scripture, and experiences as he or she wishes.
Doesn't sound too familiar in Islam.

Demand for Purity. The world is viewed as black and white and the members are constantly exhorted to conform to the ideology of the group and strive for perfection. The induction of guilt and/or shame is a powerful control device used here.
Oh yeah. Big time on this one. Every Friday, you'd listen to the sermon and this would usually be there.

Confession. Sins, as defined by the group, are to be confessed either to a personal monitor or publicly to the group. There is no confidentiality; members' "sins," "attitudes," and "faults" are discussed and exploited by the leaders.
Nope. In Islam, your sins are your own. You just repent if you do something wrong. No requirement to tell anyone about it. In fact, there were things that specifically suggest that, in many cases, "it's between you and Allah."

Sacred Science. The group's doctrine or ideology is considered to be the ultimate Truth, beyond all questioning or dispute. Truth is not to be found outside the group. The leader, as the spokesperson for God or for all humanity, is likewise above criticism.
Yes, Muhammad cannot be questioned. Although, truth can be found outside the group, just not religious truth.

Loading the Language. The group interprets or uses words and phrases in new ways so that often the outside world does not understand. This jargon consists of thought-terminating clichés, which serve to alter members' thought processes to conform to the group's way of thinking.
This one could go either way. I suppose the key here is that classical Arabic is of paramount importance in Islam.

Doctrine over person. Member's personal experiences are subordinated to the sacred science and any contrary experiences must be denied or reinterpreted to fit the ideology of the group.
Pretty much. It's doctrine over everything in Islam, although I can't really bring to mind any specific examples from when I was a muslim. But Islam does pretty much imply this.

Dispensing of existence. The group has the prerogative to decide who has the right to exist and who does not. This is usually not literal but means that those in the outside world are not saved, unenlightened, unconscious and they must be converted to the group's ideology. If they do not join the group or are critical of the group, then they must be rejected by the members. Thus, the outside world loses all credibility. In conjunction, should any member leave the group, he or she must be rejected also.
Absolutely. Islam fits it to the letter.
"...if you want my personal preference say I found out that my wife was cheating with me flogging would be too good a punishment."

--fudgy
Bruce Lee

Post by Bruce Lee »

'Loading the Language. The group interprets or uses words and phrases in new ways so that often the outside world does not understand. This jargon consists of thought-terminating clichés, which serve to alter members' thought processes to conform to the group's way of thinking.'

Loading the Language -

The Arabic language itself. As you are most likely aware an unspoken hierarchy exists amongst Muslims and Muslim converts with Arabic speaking Muslims at the top of food chain. I guess other Muslims must think they are somehow closer to God but we all know Islam contains many elements of Arab nationalism.

- thought-terminating clichés -

There is a an array of Allah... clichés, but the one that puts an end to any possibility of a Muslim thinking for himself or herself or asking any difficult questions is 'Allah knows best.'
Ibn Rushd

Post by Ibn Rushd »

Pretty much all of those applied to me.
There is no Master but the Master, and QT-1 is his Prophet.

Asimov's robot story "Reason"