Muslim to Closet Atheist

Share your story.
CHI83

Muslim to Closet Atheist

Post by CHI83 »

I am in fact a closet atheist. I used to be a Muslim, although I don't consider myself one anymore. Some of the things I was taught about Islam shocked me. The whole "Prophet" Muhammad marrying Aisha at 6 and "doing" her when she was 9. It also struck me odd that she was considered his favourite wife. He fits the textbook definition of a pedophile. I also learned how he mass murdered the Jewsish Banu Quraysah tribe. How could the "perfect" human order the slaughter 900 men and 1 woman for being Jewish? After that I declared in my heart that I was an atheist.

Well here's my situation:
I am 14 years old. I live in Canada. All of my family (Mom,Dad and 2 sisters) is Muslim. We are Bangladeshi. The words "muslim" and "bengali" are pretty much inseparable so my parents will be shocked about this. My mom and 2 sisters don't wear hijab. My Dad prays 5 times a day and stuff. I think they go under the class of "moderate" muslims. Our family listens to music and does things that we know we shouldn't. I really want to "come out" of the closet but I'm kind of scared. I don't know what will happen though. I heard about honour killings and that unsettled me. I need some advice as to what to do. Since I'm only 14 I am financially dependent on them and I don't really want to run away.
Currently in the closet, wanting to get out.
enceladus

Re: Muslim to Closet Atheist

Post by enceladus »

Hi CHI83 - welcome! Good on you for leaving Islam!

My advice would be to not let anyone know (for now, anyway). Don't "rock the boat".
Just "go through the motions" as it were, and pretend that you're still Muslim. Do just enough to not arouse suspicion. You won't have to do that for ever - only until you're old enough to (say) go to university. That'll mean you can then move out and do what you like.

Stick around here for a while though, ay. There are many others here who will no doubt have really good advice too.
Bye for now -
- enceladus
Sten

Post by Sten »

Hello CHI83,

Do not "come out" until you are financially independent and have your own car and home. While you live with your parents you live under their rules, and you should not do anything to complicate your education or social development. I know it is hard to pretend, but take comfort in knowing that nobody owns the space inside your head but you.
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
- Carl Sagan
CHI83

Post by CHI83 »

Well looks like I'm staying in the closet for another 4 years. Thanks for your advice.
Currently in the closet, wanting to get out.
Intelligent lad

Post by Intelligent lad »

CHI83 wrote:Well looks like I'm staying in the closet for another 4 years. Thanks for your advice.
It is happy to see a Bengali free himself from Arabian mental slavery. Bengali's should return to dharmic religions.
Love Jihad against Hindu and Christian Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUB5cS6YLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ibn Rushd

Post by Ibn Rushd »

I'd also follow their advice, when you're old enough to leave you can go to another province and live freely.
There is no Master but the Master, and QT-1 is his Prophet.

Asimov's robot story "Reason"